Day 2-5


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
March 16th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

3-15-07
We got up early to leave Glasgow and head to Edinburgh this morning, but got on the wrong type of train so we had to pay for another ticket...crazy europeans...oh well...The countryside on the way to Edinburgh is beautiful, rich green rolling hills covered in sheep on one side, and the ocean on the other. Once in Edinburgh we wandered around for awhile then caught the shuttle to our hostel, the Globetrotter, which is a 15 min drive from the city's center. It's a great location, right on the bay so there is a great view from wherever you are inside.
3-16-07
I went into town before Gina and Sadie since they were still getting ready and the shuttle only runs hourly. It is soooo cold here, but I love it! When they got into town two others from our room were with them and spent the rest of the day with us. We ate lunch at a really neat pub on the Royal Mile, then took a bus tour of the city. We stopped to tour Holyrhud Palace--definately worth touring. We caught back up with the tour and took it until we got to Edinburgh Castle. It was amazing, but on top of a huge hill so incredibly windy. You can see for miles from the top of the walls if you can manage to not get blown away by the wind. We headed back to the hostel early because Sadie and Gina were tired--I hung around in the common area and met a ton of really nice people from around the world, and ended up waiting up until St Patrick's Day officially started and dancing around with some new Irish and Scottish friends.
3-17-07
I went into town early again and did a little more shopping. Katie (other girl in my room) and I spent most of the day together around the royal mile. We went into Jennard's, the famous dept store there--so cool!!! Katie and I decided to get our ears pierced so we found a really clean place (yes, a tatoo parlor) and both got our ears pierced. We tried to go on a haunted dungeon tour but it was full so we got icecream and tea then did some more sightseeing.
We ate dinner at Monster Mash, it was soo good!!! After that we went on a Literary Pub Tour. It was really fun, we walked all over town and at each historic sight we would stop and the people that lead it would put on little acts--we learned some really interesting stuff.
3-18-07
We checked out of the hostel and headed into town. We grabbed some tea then got on the train for the 4 hr train ride to london. When we arrived in London it was snowing heavily, not quite what we were expecting! We checked into our hostel, which was much further out than we thought and over a smoky bar--we shortened our stay to just one night and booked a much better hostel for the rest of the days. I had scampi and chips for dinner, feeling very british, but not enjoying it much since the bar way smoky--I figured smoky was better than snowy so I stayed in.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb