The Best Scotch


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Fife » Saint Andrews
August 4th 2023
Published: July 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

It is hard to believe I was once a diehard Scotch drinker. Heck, I even went to Scotland to try many of the best up front and personal. So, why did I stop? One is expense, and the other, perhaps more important, the amount of alcohol. So, which are the best and why? Perhaps this requires some analysis. The days of Scotch were days for the man's man. When smoking was heavy, and hiring secretaries for their looks was okay.
Scotland is smaller than South Carolina, but has a coastline almost as long as Alaska. Halfway up the east coast are familiar names like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, the Macallan, Glenmorangie, plus many others. Islay, the large island off of the southwest coat, boasts names like the smokey flavored Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, and others. A few outside this area are the Isle of Skye's Talisker, and Highland Park from the Orkney's. The top three selling Scotches are Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and the Macallan. This list is from iCohol. 10. Dalmore 9. The Macallan ( I had the 18 year old, and it is simply magnificent!) 8. Talisker 7. Springbank 6. Black Bull 5. Old Pulteney 4. Johnny Walker (blended) 3. Bowmore 2. Highland Park 1. Glenlivet (Always at the top of most lists) Let me go on record as saying I do not agree with this list. I wholeheartedly agree with Number 1, Glenlivet. But I have never heard of Springbank, Black Bull (I have heard of red Bull), Old Pulteney, and Highland Park. Just so you know, the experts do agree that there is no ONE way to drink Scotch. Some prefer neat, some of ice, some with water, some with soda, some in a mixed drink. But it is wise to remember these three factors: 1. Aroma The key here is to swirl, but keep your nose out of the glass! 2. Taste A nice long sip should touch every part of your mouth before swallowing. 3. Finish It should linger like a fond memory. The feel and taste should last for a few minutes. The best and most interesting place I have tasted my Scotch was at the Old Course Hotel, St. Andrews, Scotland. The menu serves two functions. One is that it lists all the Scotch available in the "Road Hole Bar". Two is that the bartender will check off each one you have tasted, until you fill the card. Then, the lucky drinker gets a "free" bottle of their favorite Scotch. Secret: The Trader Joe's single malts are pretty good for the price point.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb