Day 1 - Stroke City & Magilligan


Advertisement
Published: November 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

BCDO4


Wish I Had My Clipboard & Whistle



The timetable had been issued and early morning breakfast was first on the agenda. The Other Place was the rendevous point on a sunny morning and didn't disappoint. Of course some were late to show...

After breakfast, Bartlett led off the convoy with the mini struggling to get off it's rear axle with all the red meat in the boot for the bbq. Our first destination was Londonderry, meeting in the Foyleside Centre - a place filled with the living dead. Well, Derry pale faced, ill looking folk at least. It makes Connswater seem a thriving hub of healthy joy.

This was a handy point to get up onto the Walls at Artillery Street with everyone getting their first glimpse of the restored cannon. Sadly the Walls no longer have the old cobbles but have been covered in some H&S bitmac crap. Some of the old turrets have been filled in/closed off - a crying shame. As a kid I used to climb into those or soldiers would let us look down their gunsights.

One benefit of the modernisation is the opening up of the entire circuit though. The control room above Bishop's Gate has gone allowing access we never had. This allows tourists full access too, although that is marred by the 'informed tours'. Their partisan propaganda is enough to make anyone with one iota of local knowledge wince.

As we started we would pass two of my Dad's old schools. One is now an arts centre with lovely soundbites carved into the pediments yet the original COI carvings are neglected. The original weather vane has been removed too. 'Restoration' in an Ireland of Equals indeed. Grumbles aside, it was a lovely morning allowing the Cathedral (St Columb's) to be photgraphed against a perfect blue sky. Even the Fountain looked smart!

Passing over Bishop's Gate, the view over the Bogside is now uninterrupted by army guard towers although the area still needs a sprucing up. Walker's Monument base has been defaced yet again (Walker himself is now 'armless following a recent attack too) and in the information notices on the Bastion, St Augustine's is shamefully neglected. The 'Mem' was open to all as part of the EU Heritage Day but we pressed on past - I promised to get us all in another time if people are keen.

The azure vista had now been replaced with a more familiar Derry drizzle so we took refuge in St Columb's. This small but magnificent Cathedral is nearly 400 years old and contains priceless memorabilia, reeking of history. I have written so many papers about it and the Seige I could have held a lecture but I desisted and tried instead to capture some decent images of the WW2 flags.

Sadly, I couldn't do them justice - no matter though as I'd gazed at them enough as a kid to remember each one. It was also a pity we couldn't then enjoy the graveyard as the rain got heavier and we headed towards the Diamond. As we did, a small parade passed - perfect timing.

The rain stopped and it brightened up again as we passed along Shipquay Street towards the Guildhall. Once there, Angela and I took to the Walls again capturing the others below, strung out like Reservoir Dogs. Our circuit complete, it was back to the cars to dive down to Muff (no sniggering at the back there) to top up the fuel tanks en route to Greencastle where we would have lunch.

The restaurant, Kealey's Seafood Bar, had a big reputation but looked quite unassuming. It wasn't too busy and was pretty tasty all round - even the veggie option seemed good. Neil had also finally got in contact and was just leaving Bangor for his first journey to the wilds of Coleraine.

We hopped on the Foyle Ferry to meet him and cruised over to Magilligan aided by Cara's delicious cookies. We just got enough time on the beach before the rain arrived again - this time in torrents. We sheltered in The Point before deciding it was time to pitch camp.

At Benone we hooked up with the recently arrived McCreadie and started the camp construction. This was varied in terms of actual ability but we all got there in the end just in time for Cara and Kiera to depart and leave us to start up the barbie. Too many cooks caused a greater conflagration than the coals but once it was ready it cooked up a storm in it's final outing - a true viking funeral. I shizzled my fine drizzle onto the corn before we tackled the feasting.

Despite a few RSP moments, we sat out for a few more hours enjoying some beers & wine before the cold and an insistent rain storm finally drove us to bed around 11. The last thing I remember before falling asleep was resolving to tackle the cheese board in the morning...




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb