Enniskillen


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ambitious day today. We slept in to 8:30, had a lovely breakfast prepared by Bernie Mullaly, our B & B owner. It was sunny and we ate in the sun room. First time I've felt warm since we landed in Ireland. Enough about the weather, you know what you're getting into when you book your vacation to Ireland so pack a rain jacket or umbrella and stop complaining! After breakfast we headed to the Marble Arch Caves. Down 150 steps, or 50 meters underground, they were beautifully lit to show off the best formations within this amazing place. Our guide, Maeve, did a wonderful job in making the geological history of the caves come alive. It was damp, cold, and lots of stair climbing to get back out, but nothing most people can't handle. After a look in the well rounded gift shop, we took the trail down to the Claddagh River. There are three streams that run into the cave system and run out together under the Marble Arch to form the Claddagh. Beautiful walk up to some waterfalls that feed into it too. We headed back into Enniskillen for a 1:30pm appointment with Frank Roofe, who is a wealth of geneaological information about the area. He told us what he needed to begin finding the link. Its in the family bible. He showed us on the map where the Bolands would be from, Belleek and Garrison area. So happy the Bernie from Abocurragh Farm put us in touch. Frank does this as a sideline to his work at Town Hall. Walked through tow and found good rustic pizza. Then headed out to Florencecourt Manor, which was closed Tuesday, but walked the grounds and saw the walled rose gardens. Very beautiful place, wish we could have seen inside. After nap at the B& B we headed back into town for a bite at Franco's in Enniskillen. Fresh scallops from Killeen. A few drops of rain on the way home. After a busy outside day, reading and watching telly felt quite nice.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb