Land of our Ancestors


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Sligo » Sligo
June 13th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Early morning today. 5:00am wake up for a 7:35am flight from Dublin to Sligo in NW Republic of Ireland. The plane was delayed by an hour. Aer Arann was lovely, only 3 passengers on a Damier? Turbo prop, not unlike a Dash 7. The airport reminded me of somewhere out in the bush, but both Avid and Hertz are represented. We reserved with Hertz. The lady was lovely, the car a Jetta with manual transmission. This driving on the left is bad enough but a left handed stick shift as well. Andrea is a great navigator, however I was keeping too close to the shoulder and hit a curb, very hard. FLAT TIRE! Pulled off into a driveway and sent Andrea up the road to borrow a phone. She came back with a lovely retired policeman named Oliver Fitzpatrick. He not only helped change the tire, the jack is the question mark, but then he led us to a shop to purchase and install a brand new tire. Our knight in shining armor for the day. What a blessing he was for us! We headed to Enniskillen, had a bit if lunch, then napped in the car until 200pm when the Castle opened. It was a tribute to the Regimen of Enniskillen, who fought in world wars and all over the world, including helping liberate Kenyans during the Mau Mau rebellion. Drove then to the Abocurragh Farm Guest House. Lovely place a few miles south of town. Its a working dairy farm, this area has great butter and cheese. Lots of hot water pressure. Beautiful sunset tonight. Nice dinner at Fiddlesticks in Belcoo, back in our comfy beds before dark. No drinking and driving up here. Lose your car!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb