A damp day in Belfast


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim
September 30th 2022
Published: September 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

30th September

We docked in Belfast very early in the morning. The harbour glistening with all the lights. The luck of the Irish was definitely not on our side as regards weather today unfortunately.

We had thought about visiting Giants Causeway but with the rain teaming down and the howling wind we decided against it.

As we left the docks we saw two huge twin shipbuilding gantry cranes. The cranes were named after the Biblical figures Samson and Goliath.

Constructed by the German engineering firm Krupp, with Goliath was completed in 1969 and Samson, in 1974. Goliath stands 315 ft tall, Samson is taller at 348 ft.

At the time Harland & Wolff was one of the largest shipbuilders in the world.

Leaving the city we took part of The Causeway Coastal Scenic Drive to Glenariff Forest Park.

On a clear day we would have seen across the sea to Scotland but no chance today, but as we passed through several villages we heard from our guide about myths & legends and many references to locations used i. The Game of Thrones.

Ballygally has a beautiful beach even through the raindrops on the coach windows, as we continued we drove through Glenarm & we that the castle there was built by Sir Randal MacDonnell, 1st Earl of Antrim, in 1636, and it has remained in the family since its construction. It is currently owned by Randal McDonnell, 10th Earl of Antrim. The McDonnells have been in Glenarm for nearly 600 years and the Estate has been in the family for 400 years.

Our guide passed around some Dulce, never tried it before it’s a red seaweed that is highly prized for its unique taste and by alternative health fans for its nutritional benefits.

The verdict is still out !

We soon arrived at Glenariff National Park, it was still raining hard as we made our way to the tea house where we enjoyed hone made scones and a nice hot cuppa.

It was such a shame about the weather but I managed a short walk although it was too risky to venture too far.

As we drove back the skies changed from grey to blue, the sun popped out and our driver/guide took us on an impromptu tour around the city to compensate for the lack of time at the park.

Back to the ship where we learnt that due to 2 mtr swells tomorrow (As a result of Hurricane Fiona) it would not be safe to tender us from ship to shore, so another change of port, no longer visiting the Isle of Man now we’re off to Cobn in Ireland.

It’s starting to be a bit of a mystery tour!

Another craft class this afternoon, this time making a pretty necklace.

There have also been some interesting talks too & the entertainment on board is excellent.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement




Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb