Good things come in small packages...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim » Belfast
September 18th 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

cute little boyscute little boyscute little boys

these little boys asked us to take their photo.
Larne: population 37.

Last night we went to a little pub called the Station Bar. We had a pint of Tennants in these really neat beer glasses with embossed letters. So I decided to ask the bartender if he could sell us a couple as souveniers.

We ended up chatting with the bar owner, Stephen, and his three pals--Paddy, William and Eamon. Fabulous guys. Good looking. And, unlike a few of the guys in the bar, these fellows still had all their teeth. Wouldn't let us buy a drink. Stephen gave Rose and me some really nice football jerseys... and not one souvenir beer glass but the whole damn case! He even delivered it to our B & B this morning so we didn't have to make our way back last night carrying 24 glass pint glasses.

Not for the first time since this trip began (and I'm sure not for the last time), I am marveling at how friendly the people are here. I haven't laughed so much in a long time.

While we dandered about the town today (because when in Rome you do like the Romans and when in Larne you dander)... Rosie bumped
Rose's old stomping groundsRose's old stomping groundsRose's old stomping grounds

This was the street Rose lived on.
into an old school friend she hadn't seen forever-- the sister of the girl Rose was hoping to find again. What a stroke of good luck--Rose is chuffed. We're all going to go out tonight.

So there ye are. You just never know what's around the next corner, do ya? Who knows what the night will bring? Some reminscing for sure. Tonight we're off to the Pigeon Club to meet Rose's friends--yes, the Pigeon Club. They race pigeons and drink beer, apparently. I know how do to do at least one of those things.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Rose's neighbourhoodRose's neighbourhood
Rose's neighbourhood

This was the walk Rose took to school. She's not sure if the buildings have shrunk... or she has grown!
LarneLarne
Larne

We took this shot outside of Rose's school.
Craigy Hill CemeteryCraigy Hill Cemetery
Craigy Hill Cemetery

The place where Rose's dad is buried
Grave etchingGrave etching
Grave etching

I took an etching of Rose's dad's headstone.
Great craic in the Station BarGreat craic in the Station Bar
Great craic in the Station Bar

Had a great laugh with these guys
ReunionReunion
Reunion

Rose ran into her old school friend on the street. Later that night we joined them at the Pigeon Club in Larne.


26th September 2007

'dander'
I had to look 'dander' up in the dictionary...lol.. and still a little confused. But, man-- looks like you guys had a great time!! Fantastic pics!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb