The Crossover to Northern Ireland


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Titanic BelfastTitanic BelfastTitanic Belfast

One of the vintage posters for White Star Line, maker of the Titanic.
Yesterday morning, we said goodbye to Dublin and journeyed to Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Quick history fact: Ireland is its own republic, but 6 counties are still under United Kingdom's rule. They are called Northern Ireland. The UK is still quite persistent in making sure everyone knows that they have left the Republic of Ireland (UK flags everywhere, street curbs painted red, blue, and white).

Just like England and Scotland, Northern Ireland uses Pounds for currency. The exchange rate between U.S. Dollars and Pounds is almost double...meaning when I spend 1 pound, I'm spending $1.77. This difference has been adding up quite a bit and makes me want to cry (sorry, mom, it's not my fault) 😞

Anyway, buyer's remorse aside, it's been a great time.

First, we went to the Titanic museum, which was probably one of the best museums I've ever been to. With interactive displays, first-hand accounts from survivors, and footage of the wreckage made a paradise for any history nerd (me). They even offered lunch accurate with what passengers of the doomed ship would have eaten.

Belfast isn't the most beautiful city (lots of factories and industry), and luckily we didn't stay for
Carrick-a-RedeCarrick-a-RedeCarrick-a-Rede

This is a fairytale.
long. The scenic drives between destinations have made it difficult to sleep on the bus; that is a lie, I am pretty sure there's sleep medicine in the air vents on this charter bus. I take a nap during every trip.

We made our way to Ballintoy - a small seaside village with a population of 130.

Yes, 130 people. The sheep and cows I've seen easily outnumber the humans. I have 10 times more Facebook friends than the population of an entire town.

This place is right out of a story book - a fairytale, even. We went to Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge for the most breathtaking views (we could even see Scotland from across the way).

Our quaint little hostel provides everything one could want - laundry service, hot breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and spectacular views of the ocean right outside your window.

Last night we went up the road to the Rope Bridge Restaurant and Bar for dinner, drinks, and live Irish music. I even attempted some (bad) karaoke with the girls. Be very relieved you did not witness that.

Before I delve into today's adventures, here's a list of things I have
DerryDerryDerry

Notice the sign.
taken for granted my whole life in the states that I do not have readily access to here:

1. Free Wi-Fi. Everywhere I go.

2. Lattes with sugar. It seems to be a foreign concept to order a coffee with sweetener already in it.

3. My own bedroom. But I LOVE my group and roommates.

4. Sunlight. Seriously. 90%!o(MISSING)f the time it's cloudy, but then you get those days where you've never experienced such beautiful weather in your life.

5. U.S. size showers. With enough room to turn around in and a shelf to put your shampoo.

6. Water with ice. You must specifically ask for it here.

7. Tanning and nail salons. I've counted 1 tanning place and 4 nail salons my entire trip. The excuse I got for lack of nail salons was that the women here enjoy gardening and do not often do their nails. Oh okay.

8. Chick-fil-a. Ask me what my first meal back in America will be...although I must say, the food here is to die for.

These things I miss are definitely on a first-world level, and I must admit while they are
Dunlace CastleDunlace CastleDunlace Castle

Castle selfies.
nice, I could surely go without them if it meant I could live in such a beautiful place like this one.

Today's adventures began with exploring the city of Derry. I could go on and on and on about how fascinating the history is that this city holds. Derry holds major historical significance in both the time of kings and queens and fairly recent decades - the 70s, 80s, and 90s - in the conflicts and happenings between Ireland and the UK over the ruling of this area. It is where Bloody Sunday occurred as well as many other riots, tragedies, and demonstrations. The city has done a remarkable job in preserving and honoring these events and those involved.



Now that I've bored you with my passion of history and politics...



We next ventured to Dunlace Castle and the Giants Causeway, which offered gorgeous landscapes and ocean views as well. And a lot of walking. So much walking.



To think I was worried I wouldn't be able to work out while I was here.



Anyway, tomorrow we leave Northern Ireland and set out for Scotland! Can't wait.
Giant's CausewayGiant's CausewayGiant's Causeway

Exploring like Carmen Sandiego (minus the hat).
😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb