Lavenham, Sutton Hoo and Ramsholt


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 11th 2014
Published: June 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

11 June 2014

A busy day with several stops.

Firstly we went to Lavenham, a small ancient wool town famous for its many half-timbered buildings and a large ornate church built when it was the wealthiest and largest settlement in the County. We got a walking leaflet from the Tourist Office and had an excellent couple of hours looking round.

Wendy had promised her friend Vivian that we would visit the round tower church of Ramsholt on the River Deben near to the coast. Her mother is buried there and we were planning to look for the grave. On the way we passed the famous site Sutton Hoo where in 1939 a burial mound was opened up by a local archaeologist and the remains of a 1300 year old Anglo Saxon royal burial ship was uncovered together with an amazing collection of treasures which are now in the British Museum. Wendy particularly wanted to see this, so although it was mid-afternoon we spent a happy hour and a half looking at the exhibition and burial site.

Then in the early evening it was on to Ramsholt where we found the pretty church but unfortunately due to the overgrown state of a majority of the church yard not the grave.

We stayed at another certified site, this time on a farm just outside the coastal village of Orford.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb