Trains, Trains, and More Trains


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 18th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

England RailsEngland RailsEngland Rails

First Rail Ride
(by Becky)

We rose early in preparation for a long day across England & Wales. We were planning to take the direct train from Euston station in England to Holyhead, Wales but we missed that train by 1 minute. Here's what happened next...

Heathrow to Paddington, tried to board first class -not our ride.

Paddington to Euston, packed like sardines- exit underground dragging luggage upstairs (eleven pieces) through throngs
of people to main street and walking to the station a half mile away.

Euston to Crewe - missed train by 1 min due to misinformation.
(Note: platform #'s change often and not everyone has current information. Look for men carrying little black boxes-has up to the minute readout.)

Took later train:
Crewe to Chester - Change trains, each change means changing
platforms which means dragging luggage to another platform.

Chester to Holyhead - wrong train, went to Runcorn instead.

Runcorn to Chester - each change of direction means going up a lift, crossing over track and down the lift with all our
luggage. Did we mention 11 pieces of luggage?

Chester to Holyhead - wrong train again, went to Wrexham General instead (up,
Praying For TrainsPraying For TrainsPraying For Trains

The Right Train!
across & down )

Wrexham General to Chester - by this time we were well known with the rail agents and desperate for the right train. (see photo of us praying)

Chester to Holyhead - finally, success & rest!!

Settled at last, we dined using our new Dining Kits (portable piknic in a backpack) and while doing so made a delightful new friend Haydn, a Wales gentleman who is a retired rail station worker and now rides the rails to relax and meet people. He was our guide through the Welsh hills and countryside.
Last stop - Holyhead where we parted ways with Haydn.

We ran to the ferry thinking Ireland here we come! Only to have missed the ferry by minutes...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

WalesWales
Wales

Countryside by Rail


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb