Catching up - End of Holiday


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire
November 22nd 2009
Published: November 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Because our Internet access has not been great while travelling I got behind on the blog. And now that we made it to England we have been busy and having a good time.
In about 2 hours we will depart from Highworth for Heathrow airport. An hour and a half drive. We are heading home to OZ tonight. I have a head cold and Carol's cold is just starting.

Tonights flight will be a bit unusual as we 3 ( carol Sean and Myself) are all on the same flight but because we booked at three separate times we are sitting in different places on the aircraft.

I am not going to have enough time to put Travel Blog pages up for each of teh days of the cruise and our time in England so I am putting a few scrappy notes up.

Thanks to all those that stuck it out and read through to the end. Hope to catch up with everyone soon.

David T


Wednesday November 3rd
Rained out in Izmir

Thursday
Sunny in Athens. Arrive at the port, 3 Euro all day Metro ticket
More Coffee, Lunch, ooking for knick Knacks, finding the central market.
Lisa buys some Ouzo and sneaks it on Board. Mythos beer at the port and some way cool Glasses

Friday
Dubrovnic, Walk to and From the port to the Old town.
Great place to visit once all the cruise ships have left.
Great coffee, Beer in an Irish Bar served by a chatty blonde.
Walking the town walls. I introduce Boyd to beer smuggling
Get back to the ship about ½ hour before a torrent of rain.
One of the nicest places we have visited.

Saturday
Day at Sea.

Sunday
Venice - We meet up with Rose. Ferry to Murano, abandon Burano.We get wet and miserable. Umbrella Storm
Sean and I do a beer run to the Venice Supermarket I buy a ½ bottle of JW Red and some Long Necks
Monday, Venice and Rose again, we walk to Rialto Bridge, Beer stop at the Supermarket with Boyd.
Somehow we depart Venice with 3 Umbrellas.

Tuesday - a day a sea.

Wednesday a ferry to Sorrento followed by a train to Pompeii. An amzing place- Great weather today.
Train back to Naples port. Ship notes 20 Minutes walk to ferry port, 15 to station in reality its 2 minutes to ferry port and 30 minutes to station.

Thursday
Train from Civitivechia to Rome. Excellent day. 9 Euro BIRG ticket. 24 hour 5 Zone pass. St Peters Square then a great and inexpensive coffee at the end of the street. We walked along the river past Castle San Angelo, then to Fountains, then Argentina Square (excavation) somehow miss the Pantheon, Eventually find Trevi Fountain stuck onto the side of a multi story building, stumble to Spanish steps find an awesome Macca’s, walk to Colosseum, Do the circuit,
Carol gets told to change her husband by a skirt (Ciracase) flapping Roman Centurion.
We get to Rome Termini, run for and miss the train, try to help a senior couple sort out the train schedule - cop some verbal from them. Arrive back at the port - first time the ships scanners have been operating since day 1. But we were not smuggling beer.

Friday
Day at sea, get ready to leave the cruise

Saturday 14th November
Arrive in Barcelona, Flight at 1.15 to London. Delayed 2 hours on the runway.
England has worst storm of the years so flights backed up.

Will Paul meet us? - Yes - In a blustery evening. For the next 5 days
we were hosted by Paul and Jill with their usual exceptional hospitality.
We visited a number of Cotswold Towns and as always resolved to vist again.

Thursday 19th November - we depart for Heathrow and the flight home in a few hours.
Home to Tassie by Saturday night



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



19th November 2009

Welcome home
Hi Guys, Thanks you for the wonderful travel diary. I am very, very envious. Look forward to catching up in person next week. Ciao.
22nd November 2009

Wonderful blog/Welcome Home
Hello again Dave...the blog was wonderful - how could it not be with such insightful, and humorous, commentary? The pictures were terrific. Speak with you soon - best with your bride.
22nd November 2009

snubbed
is that all i'm worth? 3 lines! gutted
22nd November 2009

Not Snubbed - just a delayed entry
You must not feel like that Paul. I am considering doing a 1000 word expose/essay on yours and Jill's hospitality. Mentioning your exceptional driving skills and caustic wit, Jill's fantastic cooking and lavish attention to our compfort as well as mentioning how cute Lisa looks in her Netball clothes. However I just dont know where to start. Should I include your email address so that others may contact you for guest services? By the way.It wasn't 3 lines when I typed it- it was 1 line - the blog software must have reformatted it - LOL. Thasnks again for a great stay.
22nd November 2009

trip
thks david did read all your blogs on the way through,will have to catch up,dosnt sound like egypt has changed in 30 years,catch you all soon,probably orphans xmas?
23rd November 2009

Orphans Party
Thanks Yes - Orphans Party would be great - but its not teh best for a personal catch up. Perhaps if your available b4 that would be coolest
24th November 2009

Great Blog
Excellent blog Mr T. it brought back some fond memories of my adventures and gave me some ideas for future ones.

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb