Day 9- Kirkby Stephen-Keld (14 miles)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
August 4th 2015
Published: August 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I thought the hike in the Lakes District a few days ago was challenging but after today that hike was a walk in the park. Our hike today crossed the Pennines,the highest point being where the Nine Standards are, which are mysterious piles of stone similar to Stonehenge. The hike involved not only a significant climb and subsequent descent, but many miles of hiking over bogs...which in some places could not be crossed without walking in muck over our ankles. This all would have been challenging enough even in ideal conditions. Our weather today for most of the 13 miles was steady rain with winds at 35 mph at the highest part. The rain felt like needles on our face.....partly because there was sleet part of the time! The wind was so strong that I needed to plant my poles firmly in the ground to keep from getting blown over.

We arrived in Keld, a small hamlet in the Yorkshire Dales, at 4:30 and were very happy to check into our lodge, hang our wet clothes in the drying room, have a hot shower and have a pint in the pub downstairs.

I didn't take any pictures until 3:00 when there was a brief break in the rain, but the Internet is slow here so I won't be able to download pictures today.

Keld is the official halfway point of our walk. It's been an exciting adventure so far. We've had great hikes, fabulous accommodations and superb food. We sure are hoping for better weather tomorrow....even the locals are saying that they are having unusually cold and rainy weather for this time of year.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb