Day 10 Keld-Reeth (13+ miles)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire
August 5th 2015
Published: August 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

10 feet on day 1010 feet on day 1010 feet on day 10

All still working!
After yesterdays hike, today's 13+ miles almost seemed like a rest day. There was very little elevation after a short climb at the beginning and best of all, there was no rain all day. We were told by someone at the inn last night that the winds yesterdaY were actually up to 50 miles/hour where we were hiking!

Anyway, today we had an easy amble along the river Swale in the Yorkshire Dales. This area was a center of silver mining in the 19th century and we saw lots of evidence of the early history of the area. The landscape was dotted with structures built for the workers and there were dry stone fences everywhere that separated the small plots that the workers were given to farm enough to feed there families. The land is now beautiful open farmland with more areas cultivated for crops and still a number of sheep and cows grazing.

We had a delightful lunch at a cafe in the tiny hamlet of Gunnerside....a real treat after trying to grab a quick bite when we found a bit of shelter in a gully!

We arrived in the old market town of Reeth and again
Leaving KeldLeaving KeldLeaving Keld

Prepared for another rainy day!
had a wonderful dinner in the pub where we are staying.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Skinny stileSkinny stile
Skinny stile

We squeezed through many of these today!



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb