Excursion to Wisley Garden


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Wisley
July 22nd 2019
Published: July 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Entrance of GlasshouseEntrance of GlasshouseEntrance of Glasshouse

The plaque said that the Glasshouse was opened to the public on 29 June 2007 by HRH Majesty.
We visited Wisley Garden, Surrey on 17 July 2019. The last time we visited there was 2007; we’d heard that there had been a lot of extension work in the garden. We remembered taking South West train to Kingston and bus between Kingston and Wisley Garden. We were annoyed and confused with the announcement of South West train - …Freedom Pass, Oyster Cards are not valid on this train and you will be asked to pay for penalty faire if you fail to show the valid ticket… We got off at Vauxhall once and asked if we could travel to Kingston, Zone 6 with Oyster card. We were told by the railway staff that Oyster card would be valid for us to travel to Kingston. The train was also delayed by signal failure and it made us reach Kingston just after 12 o’clock. We had lunch at the bus terminal and caught the 12.45 bus for Wisley. We got off at Wisley Garden on the very busy motorway, crossed over the footbridge and walked to the entrance building. Despite a weekly day, there were a lot of cars coming in and the car park was almost full.



Mark had bought 10% discount tickets through online and showed its paperwork at the reception. Since 30 May there has been special exhibition, Sculpture at Wisley 2019, going on; we were given the map and looked for contemporary and modern sculptures by well-known artists – Henry Moore, Henry Bruce, Lynn Chadwick, Tracy Emin, Philip Haas and Philip King.



We strolled through Jellicoe Canal, Water Lily Pavilion and Water Gardens and were so impressed with stunning display of flowers and garden ornaments.



We then headed for the Glasshouse. We remembered that construction of the Glasshouse was nearly completed when we visited in 2007 – and confirmed on 17 July 2019 that it was opened to the public on 26 June 2007. The Glasshouse presented a special display of fuchsia and housed a huge variety of collections of tropical, sub-tropical and rainforest plants such orchid collections and banana trees. We walked on the footpath along the semi-circle artificial lake by the Glasshouse and reached the close point of Henry Moore’s sculpture, ‘Sheep Piece’. Including this sculpture, all the contemporary and modern sculptures matched well with green space and enchanting gardens where they were positioned, and together with
Mark and Giant's ChairMark and Giant's ChairMark and Giant's Chair

The Giant's Chair was a massive wooden sculpture standing on the top of Battleton Hill
other garden ornaments, these sculptures played focal points and encouraged visitors to explore the garden.



As well as the Glasshouse, there have been a number of attractions added recently. We climbed up the Viewing Mount following the spiral footpath surrounded by lavenders and overlooked the Glasshouse and its lake and orchard and allotment.



Next, we strolled through Bowes-Lyon Rose Garden. Having seen a number of roses, many of them had been blooming for a long time and these scented old roses and flowers offered therapeutic atmosphere. Including one of Henry Moore’s sculptures, ‘Knife Edge’, we found a number of garden ornaments stood among colourful flowers. We then walked through Cottage Garden and Exotic Garden and walked uphill to Battleton Hill, where the distinctive sculpture, Giant’s Chair was erected. The Giant’s Chair, was conveyed from Dartmoor to Surrey, looked striking from any angle in sunny afternoon on 17 July.



Afterwards, we walked through Herb Garden and Bonsai Walk on the way to Alpine House. As far as I know, bonsai trees (miniature Japanese pine or cherry trees growing on the pots) are pretty tricky to grow. I thought RHA staff had grown
BonsaiBonsaiBonsai

All the bonsai looked very authentic and well-presented.
delicate bonsai trees very patiently and executed beautiful presentation.



Like Kew Gardens, Wisely Garden’s gardeners and horticulturists grow a wide variety of plants originated from all over the world. Alpine House housed plants grown on the mountains and arid-climate zone. We saw quite a few cacti and succulents.



We then walked down on the Rock Garden. The Rock Garden contained water fall aquatic plants grown on the water in the valley garden.



It was quite sunny and warm afternoon; we had ice cream in the late afternoon. Later on, we popped in the gift shop and bought a present for one of my colleagues. We caught the 17:45 bus and arrived home just after 19:30.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb