The Dubai Fountains


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Kingston
March 25th 2014
Published: March 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Almost everything about Dubai is spectacular. Buildings are huge, hotels offer indoor ski resorts, golden concierge ipads and underwater restaurants, while manmade islands shaped like palm trees and The World can be seen in the distance. It’s therefore no surprise that their fountain show is rather impressive.



Within the bustling area of Downtown Dubai you’ll find the Burj Khalifa Lake, which sits in front of the famous Burj Khalifa structure, the tallest building in the world. Every day around lunchtime and then once again, every half an hour in the evenings, this is where the Dubai Fountains start their tricks.



The fountain was established in 2009 and their opening coincided with that of the glamorous Dubai Mall. They were built by a company named WET Design, who is best known for making the iconic fountains that can be seen outside of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. To build the Dubai Fountain it cost an eye bulging £132 million, though when you see the show, you can see why.



There’s a playlist of songs that accompany the fountain, along with its 6,600 lights and 25 different colour projectors. As the water shoots into the air in flowing spirals and swirls, twisting into mesmerizing patterns through rhythmic sequence along a length of 275m, it makes the entire scene feel like something from a dream.



At night the full impact of the fountains lighting can be realized, with the beams visible from an astonishing 20 miles away. The waters in the fountain are powerful too, with up to 22,000 gallons sprayed into the air at points.



Due to being such a large illuminated attraction, it’s difficult not to spot hints of its presence in the night skies, wherever you are in Dubai, though of course the best place to properly see the Dubai Fountains in all their glory is from around the Burj Khalifa Lake. The Dubai Mall is near to here, along with other prime attractions of Downtown Dubai. The best time to catch them in motion is around 1-1.30pm and then from 6pm until 10pm on weeknights and until 11pm on the weekends.



The show is perfect to watch either before or after heading out for some food and drinks, with an enchanting ambience that captures the essence of Dubai’s extravagance.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb