Winkworth Arboretum


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Godalming
December 10th 2010
Published: December 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A hillside arboretum, situated south of Godalming, Surrey, contains more than 1,000 different shrubs and tress including rare foreign oriented species. The arboretum is managed by the National Trust and opens all year and offers peace and tranquillity throughout the year.

In early spring, snowdrops and daffodils spread the carpet on the foot of the tall trees. As it gets warmer, the old English bluebells display a stunning blue carpet in the woodlands, together with magnolias, azaleas, and cherry blossoms.

In summer, it is an ideal place for family days out and picnics. The lake is the centre of the arboretum, which can be accessible via the footpath. The arboretum is surrounded by an abundance of nature, and is home to a wide variety of animals, birds, and waterfowl. There are articles and pictures of the animals and waterfowl displayed in the cottage by the lake.

As well as the stunning display of bluebells in spring time, the arboretum offers splendid displays of golden, orange, purple, and red coloured leaves between October and the beginning of December. You will also see colourful mushrooms (it is advisable not to touch them as they are poisonous) and countless chestnuts on the grounds.

Don’t forget to go to the viewpoint. It offers the panoramic views of the arboretum with lake and allows you to see the neighbouring countryside.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb