How green is an English spring?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Bramley
May 23rd 2023
Published: May 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Anyone who has seen bluebells in an English wood knows how wonderful they look. The deep blue almost purple flowers against the lime green beeches, so fresh and bright after what has been a long cold winter. Flowers are bursting out of every rock crevice, every wall, flowerbed and garden. It is truly a beautiful time of the year and the sunshine has brought everything on in leaps and bounds as if they think if they don't get a move on, summer will be over and they will have missed it. It helps that many people have taken No Mow May to heart and the hedgerows and verges are burgeoning with cow parsley, buttercups and more. What a great initiative to help the pollinators after winter.

We walked the dogs above Bramley and Chilworth along the wonderfully named Halfpenny Lane and I took so many photos. Breathe in that fresh country air, a little different to our NSW mid North Coast humidity. Loving that I can cuddle under a duvet as the night temperatures are still dropping enough to do so. Even Graeme hasn't thrown it off, just stuck out a leg if he gets a little too hot.

We went to a murder mystery night at the Chilworth golf club put on by the local Shakespeare company which was very entertaining even if we did guess right!

Also on the agenda was a cycle ride with my daughter to Losely Park where we took a house tour and a quick walk around the splendid gardens even managing to scoff down a hearty bowl of lentil and carrot soup. We learnt that we managed to ride up the private entrance where the owner lived in part of the house. He looked askance as he reversed his Land Rover but did not admonish us or ask what we were doing, in fact he seemed totally unconcerned.

We ended our few days here with a visit to The Giggling Squid restaurant in Guildford, a winning name even if the food had been ordinary...but it wasn't. It was an inventive twist on Thai food and an enjoyable treat from our lovely daughter and partner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



24th May 2023

Chat up
Enjoying all your pictures and adventures so far. Very chilly Autumn in Albury this year. Can't wait to read more x x

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb