Rye, Sussex, United Kingdom, Day 5, Tuesday, April 5, 2011


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Suffolk
April 5th 2011
Published: April 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Malcolm: Tonight's blog should be fun, because we went to a great Mexican Restaurant in Notting Hill, and had some margaritas (even Karen).

Karen: Before we get started on today's activities, we wanted to share our feelings about Earls Court, our "home base" during the UK leg of our trip. We have visited and eaten in Notting Hill, Chelsea, Covenant Garden, Kensington, Belgravia, Bayswater and Leister Square. All were great, but none was as great as our home "Earls Court." Earls Court is a very old London neighborhood, just south of Hyde Park. First of all, at the Earls Court Underground Station, you only have to climb 8 steps to reach the street. After an entire day of climbing in and out of Tube Station's, those 8 steps look mighty fine. When you reach the street, Earls Court has everything, pubs, groceries, drug stores and shopping. It really has everything, but it is much quieter than some of the other parts of the city. Our hotel is just around the corner from the underground, maybe 100 yards, but its on a quite street with several other nice hotels. Earls Court, our home away from home.

Malcolm: When we planned this trip, we wanted to spend some time in "small town" England. With the help of Visit Britain, we selected the small town of Rye, in 1066 country. It was supposed to be very historic and a nice way to spend a day. Except for the weather (cold, rainy, windy) we had a very enjoyable day. We started the day on the Eurostar, that took us to the English Channel at 200 mph. It was fun to fly by cars on the highway, like they were standing still.

Karen: At Rye, we spent a chilly day, walking the narrow cobblestone streets. Streets in England are not that wide (certainly no where near as wide as in the US) but the streets in Rye were very very very narrow. Its hard to believe a car can get through.

Malcolm: We needed a warm up during the day and so we stopped at "Simon The Pieman," a long established Rye bakery and tea shop. The window was amazing. Full of fine pastries. Everyone who walked by stopped and looked in the window, and many, like us, came in for a treat.

Karen: Mal and I ordered a merengue with butter cream. The sweetness was off the charts, but boy was it good. For the record, we just spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to spell "merengue."

Malcolm: NEXT TIME I AM GOING TO ORDER AN APPLE TART!

Karen: On our return from Rye, we made a quick visit to Kensington Palace, the home of the late Princess Diana. It was interesting to see the spot where all those flowers were placed after her death. We also spent some time in Hyde Park, the largest of the London's great parks, of which there are many. The thing that was really cool is how many people are out using these beautiful parks. Whether you are in Hyde Park, Green Park, Regent Park or the others, they are full of kids kicking soccer balls, riding bikes, couples walking hand in hand, runners and bikers. Basically, a bunch of people taking advantage of these wonderful parks.

Malcolm: Dinner was at a great Mexican restaurant.

Karen: Tomorrow we are off to France. We cannot wait. WE LOVE THE COMMENTS, KEEP THEM COMING!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



6th April 2011

sounds fun
Hey Guys, It sounds like you are having a blast! Isn't the architecture amazing!! The buildings and castles are so old, big and have so much detail it's unbelievable that they could build such beautiful things so long ago! We hope you enjoy France as much as England!! Tha bolg and pictures are great...keep them coming!! Love Ya Kris
6th April 2011

sounds fun
Hello Travelers, It sounds like you are having a great time! Isn't the architecture amazing!! It's unbelievable how big and old the buildings, castles, bridges etc are. How they were able to build those things 1000 years ago is amazing, but I'm sure Malcolm can figure it out and report back to us! Have fun in France...eat some bread for me Grandpa (sorry Grandma none for you). Love Ya, Kris
6th April 2011

Karen and Mal's trip
Hey mom and Dad you look grate! Hope things are fine. It sure looks like it is, see you soon Love Steve.
6th April 2011

Love the blog. Look forward to each days entry. I am really impressed with Mal's writing skills. Who knew? Hope you have as much fun in France as you have in London. Travel safe. P.S. Still haven't received the diamond studded t-shirt.
6th April 2011

WoW
I am so enjoying hearing about your daily adventures. In some ways it seems like I am there with you. Miss you but am so happy to see you are having so much fun. Sharon
6th April 2011

looks a bit chilly! Paris will be warmer. How come no pictures of Jeff? Keep enjoying all the sites. We love the blog!!!!!
7th April 2011

Wow>
You are having the best trip. Wish we were there. Even Pat is reading the blogs.
8th April 2011

Good times
Wow you have seen so many amazing things so far! Looks like so much fun. Glad you are enjoying it. I can't wait to hear what you think about Paris!! I loved it. The food is so good!! And the wine of course. :) Hopefully you will be able to eat at La Sargent's while you are there. Not sure I spelled that right. Have a great time!! Chipper is still being a really good dog! He loves running around in the back yard. He has made friends with the neighbor's dog, Jordan. We will be sad when he leaves! Safe travels and we'll see you soon!! Anne

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb