London/Windsor, United Kingdom - Day Four, Monday, April 4, 2011


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Earls Court
April 4th 2011
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Malcolm: Today we called an audible. We were going to go to Rye and 1066 country today, but we heard (but never actually confirmed) that Westminster Abby is going to close on April 5, to prepare for the wedding (maybe you heard there is going to be a big wedding at the end of the month).

Karen: We really wanted to visit the Abby, so we decided to flip days, and visit the Abby, watch the "changing of guard" at Buckingham Palace and take the train out to Windsor Castle today, instead of Tuesday. All of this made for a very busy, but very fun day.

Malcolm: I am pretty sure that the Abby and Windsor Castle were built by aliens. It is the only way to explain how these two unbelievable structures were built over a 1,000 years ago. THEY ARE UNBELIEVABLE.

Karen: Kate Middleton is going to have a very very long walk down the aisle. The place is huge. So huge that they are setting up video screens inside, so the guests that are sitting in the back pews can see.

Malcolm: We saw Coronation Throne, which is really just a very old ugly wooden chair. But Kings and Queens have been crowned on the damn thing for over 1,000 years.

Karen: After the Abby we walked across St. James Park to Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guard. So many people. It gives you a sense of how many tourists there are in London, because there is a changing of the guard every day at 11:30, and thousands and thousands of people show up.

Malcolm: The event was cool, but crowded. What is cool is the temporary television studio they are setting up in Green Park, across the street from Buckingham Palace. They have fenced off about half the park and are laying down flooring. I am not kidding, they are building a floor over the grass. Tents, giant generators and temporary tv studios. It is quite an operation.

Karen: After Buckingham Palace, we took our first real train of the trip. We took the train out into the country to a little town called Slough. At Slough we switched trains and finished our trip to Windsor. Windsor Castle is just a short walk from the station.

Malcolm: Windsor Castle is the oldest and largest continually operating castle in the World. It is Queen Elizabeth's favorite home.

Karen: Once you see it, you understand why the Queen loves it. Windsor Park (basically, the Queen's back yard) goes on for mile after beautiful mile. It is tough to describe how big Windsor Park is. Or for that matter, how big Windsor Castle is. We took many photos, but none of them give you a real sense of scale.

Malcolm: The Queen was actually at Windsor Castle today. The dining room is set up for a fancy dinner. We did not get an invitation. Oh, and the castle is really really BIG!

Tomorrow we are off to Rye and 1066 country.

Anne, thanks for the comment. We are glad Chipper is being a good dog.

Welcome home Steve and Patti. Hope you and the girls had a great trip.

Kira, we got you a magnet.





Karen




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



4th April 2011

This sounds like a great trip! I am enjoying the pictures and reading about your adventures...I'm a fan of Windsor Castle so it's cool to see you there! p.s. Thanks for the magnet!
5th April 2011

what a great day!
Hey guys! Sounds like you are getting great workouts each day! Just keep Jeff in line! Has he misplaced anything yet? Seriously it sure looks awesome! Keep having fun and take lots of pictures. Went to see Allie today! She can't wait for her tee shirt!!!! All is well here! Miss you and love you all! Lisa
5th April 2011

Grandpa and Grandma
I hope you are all having a great time! It sure sounds like it on the blog! It is hard to believe that you are in another country! Has grandpa gotten lost yet? I am looking forward to your next blog! Love, Tyler (a.k.a. Moblito).
5th April 2011

fun
looks like you're having a great time....i can only imagin how big the castles are......livng like that has to be hard...harder than being poor like us....all is well here it's been ralining and icky the last few days but today is nice 55 and sunny. Miss you...have fun...see you at home before you know it...love to you both Jeri
6th April 2011

school
Looks like you're having a great time! Mal must have really taken to the Euro ways.... his vocabulary and sentence structure has taken on an air of aristocracy!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0949s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb