Sutton Hoo, Snape Maltings, Aldeburgh and Thorpeness


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Suffolk » Woodbridge
August 10th 2021
Published: August 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Excellent day today exploring some of Suffolk's treasures.

First to Sutton Hoo, site of two early medieval cemeteries dating from the 6th to 7th centuries. One cemetery had an undisturbed ship burial with a wealth of Anglo-saxon artefacts. The burial mounds are clear to see and there are lovely walks across the site with views down to the river below. Fortunately summer has returned so we had a glorious blue sky for our walk.

There is also an exhibition explaining how the treasures were uncovered in 1938 and examples of the finds. Fascinating. We haven't seen The Dig film yet but will as soon as we get home.

From Sutton Hoo our faithful little Smart Arse took us a little further north to Snape Maltings. Here on the banks of the River Alde are repurposed Victorian buildings, originally used for malting of barley for beer, which now house a variety of interesting shops and after 18 months of lockdown it was rather a delight to browse.

And so to the coast at Aldeburgh. No sand here but a massive expanse of pebbly beach seemingly stretching for miles in both directions. Some very pretty buildings in the town and my camera was delighted with the pastel shades and the hollyhocks.

No obvious place to stop for an early dinner so we headed a little further up the coast until we came upon the Dolphin at Thorpeness and just had to stop. Beautiful location for a meal outside in the sunshine and the food was wonderful.

Back then to our motorhome and we are hoping the summer will continue with more gloriously sunny days. Hopeful also though that today's Flying Ant day will not be repeated as Bob is now sporting a goodly collection of ant bite lumps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb