F1 Silverstone


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We started our Formula One weekend with a delightful 5hr car ride to Silverstone, the journey should take 1.5hrs so we were only able to make it with the assistance of our good friend Strongbro and a few select power ballads.

Upon arrival Jim and I selected a nice marsh in which to pitch our tents and got to work. Craig is afraid of sleeping outdoors and had a few things to sort out that weekend so would be driving up and down as required and as agreed.

Once camp was set we got to pumping our airbeds, some of us had a bit of bad luck in the leak department and spent the good part of an hour getting up to pressure. Some of us then thought it would be a good idea to play the ol leaky-airbed switcharoo late at night while others of us were out, but when the others of us got back and realised, some of us recieved a rude awakening and a tent sacking not seen before and not soon to be forgotten. Good times.

The weather came to the party and both Saturday and Sunday were baking, bacon, baking hot, which made a nice change, though i realised I'm very english complaining either way! Saturday was qualifying and due to english driver Lewis Hamiltons surprise rookie success this season with McLaren, his home track fans had come out in major support. They were not to be disappointed as he posted pole on the final qualifying lap! So going into race day top of the grid was;
1> Hamilton (McLaren)
2> Raikkonen (Ferrari)
3> Alonso (McLaren)
4> Massa (Ferrari)

Gates opened at 5am on race day and people were queing from 4am (have i told you they love to que here?) We were up at the crack of dawn after an early night to ensure we got some good seats in our stand and were not disappointed. During the day they had a Helicopter show and Jet aerobatics which was pretty cool and a few supporting races, the Porsche cup and GP2.

The afternoon finally rolled around and it was go time. The crowd was pumped, the sun was out and it was about to be an excellent race. Massa convieniently stalled on the grid taking him out of the running starting from the pits but had an amazing drive to still manage 5th place. Hamilton just didnt have the consistent pace and dropped back to 3rd where he finished. The real race up front was between Raikkonen and Alonso, who had done consistently well in the practice sessions, but with excellent pit strategy again, Raikkonen and Ferrari took the win.

And so it was over, camp was de-pitched and I went home to pack for my next trip to Serbia the next day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 22; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0855s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb