York


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The day starts out sunny and change many times between sunny, cloudy, misting and raining. Upper 60's to 70 degrees - one of our nicest days yet (except for when it was raining really hard).

Started out at Castle Howard - oh my gosh! It's a private house and the family still lives there (and has for over three centuries). Not allowed to take pictures inside, and I can't do it justice trying to describe it. We bought a book about it at the gift shop with all the pictures of the rooms we visited. The are currently filming Brideshead Revisited (a movie) there (it is also where the mini-series was filmed), and we were lucky to be there on a Sunday because the house is often closed for filming on other days of the week.

We also visited an attraction based on the Viking settlement in York - or Jorvik as they called it. All the info was based on actual archeological finds - it is still an active 'dig'.
We ended the day with a Ghost Walk of York, which was campy as expected, but our guide did an excellent job and was very entertaining.

Tomorrow, we see York Minster, the off on a 7 - 8 hour drive to Inverness Scotland. Might not get a chance to update the blog tomorrow, but I'll catch up the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

PeacockPeacock
Peacock

The place was lousy with peacocks!
Clifford TowerClifford Tower
Clifford Tower

Dating from the early 14th century, original site of the York Castle keep.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb