Skipton and Thirsk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Skipton
June 30th 2007
Published: June 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Windermere on our way to York, via Skipton in the Yorkshire Dales and Thirsk, home of James Herriot. The weather was quite grey and rainy all day. In Skipton, there was a market day in the streets: very crowded. We stopped in a shop to get Allison a sweater, and visited a church just a block from the market.
Then we headed to Thirsk and "The World of James Herriot". We got somewhat lost on our way there, but Allison got us back on track with her map reading skills. Jeff only hit the left side curb a couple times (once rather roughly!). The James Herriot Centre was the real house that he lived and practiced in - Skeldale House. Allison was VERY excited to visit here. It was actually quite well done with recreations of the rooms as they looked in the 1940's - 1950's. Lots of personal information about the real James Herriot, (real name: Alf Wight), his family, and the way they lived. Also lots of info about country veterinary proctice.
We headed to our Marriott hotel in York, which was less than an hour from Thirsk. We had dinner at the hotel, and it seems we were quite entertaining to our waitress. We now know that 'courgettes' are zucchini!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Thirsk - James HerriotThirsk - James Herriot
Thirsk - James Herriot

Allison at the famous red door of Skeldale House.
James Herriot's carJames Herriot's car
James Herriot's car

The gang's all here!
Allison is a helper!Allison is a helper!
Allison is a helper!

Allison re-enacts a recurring scene in Herriot's books - assisting with a calving.
Filling up the minivan.Filling up the minivan.
Filling up the minivan.

Yep - that 63 pounds. $128.26!


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb