Beningbrough Hall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
September 14th 2018
Published: September 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The skies were a little grey today but at least it stayed dry for our visit to
Beningbrough Hall, Gallery and Gardens.

Built in the 18th century, this Italian-style baroque house has been shaped by its numerous occupants. It has an intriguing story to tell, beginning with the wealthy teenager who built the mansion way back to its occupation by the RAF in the Second World War & in more recent times the re-invention as a country-house gallery, in partnership with the National Portrait Gallery.
The collection inside the house includes over 100 18th century portraits on permanent loan from the National Portrait Gallery in London.
During our visit there was a special exhibition celebrating creative & influential women who have made an outstanding contribution to art, music and culture, from Judi Dench to Amy Winehouse and J.K. Rowling to Darcey Bussell.

Our first stop was the coffee shop with an amazing sculptured teapot outside made of broken pieces of blue & white pottery.

The house didn’t open until midday so we headed to the walled garden; wow so many trees laden with pear & apple we lost count.
Plenty of other seasonal produce looking quite splendid in these beautiful surroundings.

A new garden had been created by Andy Sturgeon in 2017/8 and we could only imagine how beautiful it would be once the wisteria had developed and made its way along the pergola.

It was soon time to go inside the hall, photography was allowed (without flash) unfortunately my camera became jammed so photos are taken on my phone.

Several of the galleries had interactive exhibits and it was interesting on one portrait how the artist had used another artist to add the textures of the robes. Alongside the portrait you could touch the various fabrics etc that the sitter would have worn.
Another exhibit showed sculptures of 3 men telling how in the 18th century sculptures were created by carving, modelling & casting . Each requiring different materials; marble, terracotta & bronze.

It was a really interesting place to visit, not just viewing portraits but learning about art in many forms.

A visit to the old laundry house rounded off our visit.

One more place to tick off our ‘National Trust properties to visit List.’










Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb