Chapter 3 - DAY 2 - Skipton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Skipton
August 25th 2011
Published: August 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Park Hill B&BPark Hill B&BPark Hill B&B

Part of our room at Park Hill, our base for our week in Skipton
PARK HILL

Today started with a superb cooked breakfast, locally produced sausages, bacon and eggs. We sat with an English couple who were up from the Cotswold’s to walk the Dales. The way the breakfast is set up at Park Hill you sit around a communal table with other guests, it was nice to have a bit of a chat with other travellers before we headed out for the day.

Park Hill B&B is owned and run by Lindsay and Anne. Battling a bit with Lindsay’s Yorkshire accent but you can’t beat his full English breakfast (bit of a story there I think)– I’m sure we will get there with the accent! Anne is lovely and has already been really helpful checking out rail links to Leeds/Manchester and a few other things.

The day dawned wet and miserable but at least it wasn’t too cold. After breakfast we had a really good look around Skipton’s shopping centre, the town as a market four days a week and today was one of them. Undeterred by the rain there were heaps of stalls and plenty of people milling around the town centre. Traffic was mental, it seems even small UK
SkiptonSkiptonSkipton

Away from the main streets there's some interesting spots
towns are cursed by the huge amount of traffic they have to contend with.

KEIGHLEY
We then went to the nearby town of Keighley – we thought seeing All Black jerseys were half the price they are at home we might get one. No stores were stocking them though so no luck, in fact they only had English rugby gear and not much of that. Every store had a huge range of football stuff for all the big teams but very little World Cup merchandise.
On the way back to Skipton we stopped at a country Pub – The Bull – for a late lunch. Very nice fish pie full of fresh North Sea fish and shrimps. By this time the weather had cleared a bit so we went back into Skipton to explore some of the little alleyways and out of the way areas. We bought takeaways and ate them in a small park by the canal before walking back to Park Hill (its and easy 1km walk from the town centre.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb