Keldy Cabins near Pickering


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Pickering
February 10th 2010
Published: February 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Okay, where do we start about our stay at Keldy Forest Cabins near Pickering? Firstly, is remote, quiet, peaceful and absolutely FAB if you like this description. The spacious, and we mean SPACIOUS forest cabins, are clean, warm and comfortable and are set in acres of woodland which is part of the Forestry commission here in the UK. The site is located near the village of Cropton where the nearest pub is located. However, perhaps a little too far to walk if you fancy a night out, instead get a designated driver!

We booked our stay through Forest Holidays and got a great deal of £128 for their cheapest cabin for 4 nights. The 'Evergreen' cabin does not include a hot-tub, expect to pay more of you want this luxury. Our cabin slept six, but just myself and Tracey went for the short break. As always, expect to pay much higher prices in the summer months. But, don't let this put you off, as it really is worth the money in our opinion.

You can go walking around the forest on sign-posted routes, take a walk with the ranger, or hire mountain bikes on site to get around.
A 30 minute car journey away is Eden camp, made famous by house world war 2 prisoners of war in. It is now a museum and worth the trip. They also have a cafe which is good value for money. Entrance to Eden camp is currently £5.50 for adults, and we reckon it is worth the money. It can be cold here, so wrap up warm if you plan to go in cold weather.

We also took a day out over to Scarborough and can highly recommend Mother Hubbards fish and chip restaurant at the top of the high street in the centre of the shopping area. Probably the best I've ever had and not too expensive either. Very efficient, friendly staff and food hot and as I say, probably the best I've tasted in England and that says something (wonder if I qualify for commission for this write-up? hehe).

Going back to the cabin site, buy some wild bird food and put it on your balcony. You'll soon be rewarded with Blackbirds, Coal Tits, Chaffinches, Blue tits, and squirrels to name a few. Pheasants also wander around and you should also hear owls doing their thing in the night. We also heard what we thought was a Woodpecker pecking away, but we couldn't see him!

Take plenty of food with you and all the necessities you need as the on-site shop is very expensive and there is nowhere else nearby for at least 8 miles in the centre of Pickering. Another bad point is that the t.v only currently has 5 channels, but this will soon have to be upgraded with nationwide Freeview becoming the norm.

All in all, a very relaxing, peaceful time and we'd love to go back soon. Well done Keldy Cabins!




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb