Day 4 - Leigh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire
August 9th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leigh is where Lynn grew up so it was a wonderful opportunity to visit this village. The area was built on Mills and Pits, so has a contrast between the working man’s home with rows of identical terrace houses on narrow streets to and those which were slightly larger with a pocket of front garden, to newer estates of lovely homes on blocks of land which allow for manicured gardens similar to those at home. This contrast adds to the character of this village.

We visited Leigh Cemetery, which has been there for hundreds of years. I noted graves back into the 1860’s, but I am sure there were older than that. Local Cemeteries can show you much of the history of a place. We found the graves of Lynn’s Grandparents after some searching, which was something we felt important to do while we are here.

Afternoon was spent at Haigh Country Park which sits on the grounds of a Manor house (See Photo), includes a golf course, and seems to be a place where the locals of Leigh and Wigan come of a summer Sunday to enjoy the sunshine. Our stroll past the manor house and through the woods took us to an old iron bridge across a canal which in the past would have been busy with canal boats carrying goods to and from the local mills.

All in all is was a nice day in the English countryside.

Tomorrow I should be telling of my day at the 4th Team at Headingly in Leeds, but the Aussie Cricket Team obviously didn’t get the message I was coming :-), and won the Test in the 3rd Day. Am a little disappointed given I have looked forward to going to a day of an Ashes test for 6 months, but this is what happens with cricket sometimes. We are planning a drive to the historic city of York instead which should be very interesting.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb