Day 5 - Day trip to York


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
August 10th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We awake today to the first rain we have experienced in Lancashire. In lieu of a day at the cricket we decided to visit the historic walled city of York, with a detour through Leeds to try to sort out a refund on the cricket tickets.

As we drove east the rain continued until we crested the dividing range when it stopped. This is the highest motorway in England and the views would have been wonderful, except for the drizzle mist on the way up blocking the view.

Leeds is not the prettiest city I have driven through, in fact it looks very grubby, but to someone who lives or works in Leeds I am sure it has a charm and appeal. Given we will be travelling for the next month, the staff at the Yorkshire Cricket Club were wonderful, helping me send my tickets to the right place so a refund cheque should arrive by the time I get home.

On to York which is an easy drive down the Motorway. We took the park and Ride approach so as to avoid trying to park in York and enjoyed a bus ride into the city, past the walls of the city with their fortifications and arrow slits of waiting archers in times past.

On reaching the city we stopped for lunch was at the obligatory corner pub, with a Pint of Mild and a true Yorkshire “Steak and Kidney” Pudding. Pudding came with the normal side of chips plus boiled cabbage and brussel sprouts. It was wonderful local fare; even the bussel sprouts tastes good. :-)

The cloister of York (Cathederal) is huge, with stained glass on all sides. The cloister dates back centuries and is amazing given it was built using only hand tools and the eye of the craftsmen. The Eastern Window which I am told depicts the War of the Roses was under renovation when we visited, so we only go to see a picture of it which was hung ceiling to floor, probably 30 meters high at least, which I am sure does not do it justice.

A wander through the old cobblestone streets is an experience especially the Shambles where the houses seem to come together at the top and 2 people could shake hands across the gap without difficulty.
The rain started again on the way back, almost exactly where it stopped on the way over, but not quite so bad so we could enjoy the view as we drive back to Darwen.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb