The Blairs Cross The Pond For The First Time


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Ramsgate
September 2nd 2008
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.3347, 1.41787

Dad and Mom Blair came for a visit. The first couple days we stayed in Ramsgate. We took some walks into town and around the area. On Thursday we took the train into London. We decided the open top, double decker bus was necessary so they could get an overview of the city. We used the underground a lot to get around the city as well. We made sure they saw the highlights of London including Westminster, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, Piccadilly Circus, Harrod's and the British Museum. At the British Museum we tracked down the crystal skull. Steve has wanted to see this skull for a long time. We tried to see the changing of the guard but the crowds were obstructing our view. Oh well, we tried.

Once back in Ramsgate we went up to Reculver Towers and Roman Fort. This is one of two forts that used to guard the Wantsum Channel. The Wantsum Channel cut Thanet off from the rest of England.

Steve and I thought the Blairs needed to go over to the continent to see another part of Europe while they were here. So we drove the car onto the train in Folkstone and headed for Bruges, Belgium for the day. It was a bit hectic but such a great city. We experienced the essential Belgium.... fries, great beer and chocolate!

Back in England I took the parents to Dover. We visited the castle and went to Samphire Hoe. Samphire Hoe is reclaimed land from the digging of the tunnel to France. Great views of the white cliffs. From there we went over to Folkstone to see the Martello Towers. These are defensive forts built along the southern coast of England. Based on the views one can understand why. On the way home we drove through the Alkham Valley. We stopped at a park and walked around.

The following days were spent in Canterbury, visiting the cathedral and having dinner with Beth. Then we went out to Leeds Castle. Leeds has beautiful gardens and fun hedge maze. We caught part of the birds of prey demonstration.

It was great having my parents here. I hope they enjoyed seeing England.


Additional photos below
Photos: 103, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb