Ashridge Estate


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Tring
December 16th 2010
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The varied countryside estate running across the borders of Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire, along the main ridge of the Chiltern Hills, is accessible by the footpath from Tring Station on Silverlink. The footpath starts off B4506 road, and goes through Ridgeway and Aldbury village, and the trail leads you to the centre of Ashridge Estate.

The focal point is the monument of the Duke of Bridgewater, which was erected in 1823. The tower opens at the weekends between April and October, and offers wonderful panoramic views of the woodlands and surrounding countryside. There are a number of convenient facilities, e.g. Tearoom, National Trust shop, and Visitor Centre where you an discover more about local wildlife and you can gather information of walks and family day out around the estate.

There are 4,942 acres of woodlands, commons, and chalkland supporting a rich variety of wildlife and offering splendid walks through outstanding scenery.

In spring, there are carpets of snowdrops, daffodils, and bluebells on the foot of the trees. The summer would be ideal season for having a picnic as well as woodland walks. A huge variety of trees, shrubs, and ferns offer splendid autumn coloured displays here and there on the Ashridge Estate. The woodland is adjacent to the former deer sanctuary, and it is not rare to spot the wild deer, foxes, and hedgehogs while walking in the woodland.

It is worth making an excursion to Ivinghoe Beacon Hill on the north of Ashridge Estate. From Ashridge Estate, go through Sallow Copse, dense woodlands, Ivinghoe Common, Clipper Down where you can see the lion cut on the Chalky land, and climb up on the Ivinghoe Beacon Hill. The land of the hillside is Chalky, and is home to numerous types of wildflowers, butterflies, and dragonflies. After walking through uphill and downhill surface, follow the steep trail towards the summit. From the summit, you can overlook the Ivinghoe village with mills, Aldbury village, and surrounding countryside.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb