A Man's Chapter of Manchester


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater Manchester » Manchester
October 27th 2011
Published: November 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Jo and I at the MOSIJo and I at the MOSIJo and I at the MOSI

We are the Interface, resistance is futile!
I am not sure if it enamoured me because it was the first place of our travels, or if it is because, compared to my home "city" of Hobart Tasmania, simply a real city with real citizens going about their real city life. Maybe it appealed to my senses purely on its own merit. Whatever the cause, I was pleasantly surprised with the City of Manchester.

We did hit Manchester in the middle of England's schools' mid-term break, so activity was high. The main city hang-out, Picadilly Gardens, and the main pedestrian street-mall, Market Street, was full of life, with little sign of the financial crisis. A walk in the more exclusive retail streets, however, did tell a different story.

The tram system was efficient, safe and inexpensive. On one journey to see Hamish at Old Trafford, I did board the light rail during the commuters' peak period. The sardine effect was magnified by the said school holidays.

"The city fathers, they're trying to endorse..."

There is evidence of major capital injection into the city. There is an impressive new-looking business precinct in the south-west part of the city-centre, between the river and the Museum of Science
Leaving ManchesterLeaving ManchesterLeaving Manchester

Oliver and I departing Manchester (both eyeing Mancunian babes to our left)
and Industry (MOSI). In the eastern outskirts of the city centre further developments are also underway.

While we enjoyed sampling the local food, it was a struggle to find a decent coffee, at least to our spoilt Australian taste. There were no disappointments, though, in sitting back sipping the local ales in ye olde english public houses. I have set a personal challenge to avoid ordering any lager/pilsner etc. while in a British pub.

What would life be like without its challenges?

Ian

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb