Made it to Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
October 28th 2011
Published: November 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We departed from Manchester early Friday morning. We had decided to walk up to the car hire depot we had booked from Australia, to avoid driving back through town. This would have been fine if we had a better map and Manchester decided to label their roads. We went off track and overshot the cross road by about a km. After stuffing in bags and children into a “7-seater” car we took off up the road. After a few snappy words later between the driver and navigator we made it out of Manchester and headed north. Our first stop was Windermere.

Windermere is a very busy tourist town especially during the last weekend of the school holidays. The town reminded us of a cross between Blue Mountains, Kangaroo Valley and towns on the south coast of NSW such as Berry, except a lot older. We had a quick lunch care of the local supermarket and Dad bought a wool flatcap, from a specialist store. The kids played in the local park while Mum and Dad had a quiet so-called coffee.

When we got to Windermere, there seemed to be smoke/steam coming from the lights of the car….we ignored it
Walking Throught ManchesterWalking Throught ManchesterWalking Throught Manchester

They can never take the easy route.
being the car experts we are. After our wander and lunch we started to travel further into the Lake District only to notice the car heating up and more steam coming from the engine. Unable to get hold of the emergency breakdown service on the international SIM we headed slowly back to Windermere and a public phone. To cut a long story short we were “relocated” back to a depot in Morecambe, an "on another occasion it would have been nice to see this lovely seaside town", for a change of car. This delay meant that we would not get to Ayr during the day as planned, nor other places we were hoping to drive through and visit. With a truck-stop dinner experience on the way, we finally crossed the border with a late arrival in Dumfries.

On the road in Dumfries by 6.30am on the Saturday meant that we were travelling in the dark (something we had not considered) and unable to find a shop open to feed kids some breakfast, and believe me they do not like that. Eventually we stumbled across a shop…a BIG shop. TESCO on a grand scale. I just wanted something basic, in/out/done but no, we could have done the shopping for the year from that shop.

From here it was onto Ayr. The Robert Burns Museum was the main attraction for us but as this did not open until 10 we found an amazing park on the coast. The photos and movies tell the story but fun was had by all especially on the flying fox! The Robert Burns Museum has been done very well and had a lot for both adults and kids. The gardens are beautiful even with inclement weather.

From Ayr we headed through Prestwick and Troon, the famous golf-links towns of Scotland before arriving in Dundonald to see Dundonald Castle. One of the lesser frequented castles, we had the place to ourselves and were offered an intimate tour in and around the castle. I am sure the features the personal guide showed us will help us when looking at other castles. The kids were fascinated with the stories of how the castle was built, knocked down and rebuilt, the royal and non-royal residents, the battles associated with it and how the castle was used and functioned day to day. I think I prefer the castles that
Jo Walking through ManchesterJo Walking through ManchesterJo Walking through Manchester

Jo was the star of the morning. She could walk forever with that pack. She amazed us all.
have not been rebuilt as you can let you imagination go wild.

From Dundonald we did the long haul by-passing Glasgow, coasting alongside Loch Lomond, which was very overcast, through majestic Glencoe onto our destination, Dornie. It was late by the time we got to Dornie and all were tired and fed up with the car. We just dumped our stuff and took off to the local pub for dinner and a pint or 2! It was a very long journey from the dawn of Dumfries to the dusk of Dornie but we made it. Driving through the countryside, with its many lochs, mountains and glens, we are all very much looking forward to exploring the highlands over the next few days.

Alex


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Lunch in WindermereLunch in Windermere
Lunch in Windermere

Love Tescos for a quick cheap lunch.
English country sideEnglish country side
English country side

On the road betwwen Dumfries and Ayr
Engish countrysideEngish countryside
Engish countryside

On the road betwen Dumfries and Ayr
Kids in the Ayr Platground by the seaKids in the Ayr Platground by the sea
Kids in the Ayr Platground by the sea

The playground had an amazing flying fox. We all had a go. Have found some great playgrounds and these flying foxes are very popular.
GlencoeGlencoe
Glencoe

Our first look at the area was late but still spectacular


2nd November 2011

scotland
Love reading your blog, glad you were able to change cars. I remember Tesco's had the best apple turnovers with fresh cream and made with Bramley apples - hope that hasnt changed. It was at the Robbie Burns Museum that Dad and I got chased by the black cows!!! Your Dad would fly to Scotland right now if he could!!! Kidwelly castle in Wales is a great one for running around and exploring and letting your imagination run wild - not far from where my Mum lived in Pembrey. looking forward to your next blog. Mumxxx
2nd November 2011

Your Arrival
Clan Cannon, it looks like you have hit the ground running in the Bonnie Homeland. However it looks a tad colder than over here. Pity I didn't give you the directions to our Estate in Glencoe you could have stayed there for a few days... I think the tent may have just fit the massive land expanse. Good to see the Clan Cannon enjoying themselves, Lady Ki and I look forward to reading all about your European adventure. Did one hire a Jag at all and did the driving cap make the journey? Regards Lord John and Lady Kiane of Glencoe.

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb