Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Manchester
Latest Blogs from Manchester
- November 30th 2013 Starting the Journey
by Words: 241 Photos: 0
- September 21st 2013 Manchester United Red Devils Forever!!!!!!!!!
by Words: 1262 Photos: 9
- September 15th 2013 Manchester - Where the Football Museum was a highlight - enough said !
by Words: 211 Photos: 106
- May 30th 2013 On our Way
by Words: 31 Photos: 1
- March 12th 2013 Waiting at Manchester Airport for flight down to Heathrow and then our journey begins to Vancouver and finally onto Whistler
by Words: 392 Photos: 0
- March 9th 2013 Back to reality
by Words: 839 Photos: 4
- February 2nd 2013 It's been a long time
by Words: 174 Photos: 0
- January 21st 2013 Home Again - Estoy de nuevo en mi casa
by Words: 254 Photos: 1
- January 6th 2013 David Beckham vs Kim Kardashian
by Words: 819 Photos: 4
- January 5th 2013 Honey, He's Not a Baby Anymore
by Words: 699 Photos: 6
- December 28th 2012 1 day to go
by Words: 141 Photos: 2
- November 30th 2012 Manchester to Heathrow...
by Words: 41 Photos: 0
- September 7th 2012 Pre Trip Post
by Words: 293 Photos: 0
- September 5th 2012 Almost there...
by Words: 255 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2012 I love it when a plan comes together
by Words: 7 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2012 Welcome back!
by Words: 301 Photos: 1
- June 25th 2012 Mancunian Ways
by Words: 889 Photos: 11
- June 17th 2012 6 weeks to go!
by Words: 220 Photos: 0
- June 17th 2012 The Visas
by Words: 1259 Photos: 3
- March 18th 2012 The Plan
by Words: 699 Photos: 3