Day 1 - Tues Nov 22nd 2011 - London to Toronto


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
January 8th 2012
Published: January 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left the flat just after 9am this morning. Grey overcast, with a little fog, a typical British autumnal day. Having thought seriously about travelling or moving abroad for over a year, it seemed almost anticlimatic heading off to the airport on a journey of a lifetime.
Checkin was smooth and the plane took off on time. We arrived in Toronto about 3.30pm. It was cold, 0 degrees and you felt it immediately in the opposite way to how you typically feel like you've walked into a sauna when arriving in a hot country from the UK. The UK is mild and its rarely the same anywhere else. Canadian's were as I had hoped and expected - friendly and helpful. People directed us to the right bus and then an old “Arnold from Happy Days” lookalike led us to the subway from the bus. We then hopped on a streetcar and more usual form ensued with people getting aggrevated with our bulky backpacks. We made it to our hostel in the entertainment district, GVB, and immediately got some funny looks and pauses from the receptionist who couldn't believe we'd managed to book our room for nearly a third of the usual price at $29 a night. Looks like someone couldn't add up when loading it on Expedia!
We finally made it to our room and in hindsight was what you'd expect for the price. Unwashed duvet covers with dubious stains on the sheets!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

TorontoToronto
Toronto

Tasting the local cuisine
CN Tower TorontoCN Tower Toronto
CN Tower Toronto

Don't look down!


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb