Smacked by a pidgeon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
November 4th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I was going to write sooner but it has been a busy week. Halloween was a relaxed day here. There were a few people dressed up but not many. Alex took me to a place called Camden Market. It is actually a little town I believe but on Sundays the streets are lined with venders selling cloths, food, music, jewelry, everything! If you don’t like what the street venders have you can wonder into the shops that also do the vender style of haggling on the prices (only on market day from what I understand). You can find anything and everything all at much lower prices than what you will find in town. We had a late start to the day and spent what was left in Camden. We stopped for a drink in one of the pubs once the sun went down, inside was decorated with spider web and what not but no one was dressed up.
Monday (Welcome to November!) was a very busy day for us. We got up around 8 and headed down towards town. We were in the morning traffic so it took us longer than we had thought it would and had to rearrange our plans a bit. We headed over to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guards. We had an hour before anything was to start and even though there were quite a few people there it was not too packed and so we decided to walk around a small lake in the park next to it. We grabbed some coffee afterwards and headed back up towards the palace gates which were now packed with rows of people. We found an ok spot across the street but right in front of the main gates and waited. We got to see the guards walking in, and we could hear the music playing from inside but as far as what happened inside the gates I have no idea we were just not close enough to see that. But when they were leaving they walked right past us and the people that had been standing in front of us left so we were the first row on our side of the street! After that we walked over to the London Eye. The line was not too long probably only waited 15 min or so. It is a great way to see the city you really can see for miles. We couldn’t see as far as you supposedly can on a clear sunny day because it was cloudy for us. The whole thing pretty much constantly moves, they don’t stop for loading and unloading, unless you’re in a wheel chair, but it goes very slow so it is easy to jump on and off. After that we went to a place called Giraffe. It was really good food and we were starving! Then we walked down to the Tower of London... They were closing early so we decided we would come back the next day. We headed back towards the Tate Modern - it’s not exactly close considering we are now going back and forth - backtracking - but it’s close enough that if you were to take the bus or a cab you would feel lazy! Walking is not so bad, since I always find something interesting to look at and I didn’t actually realize how far apart they were till I saw the distance from the London Eye 😊 Anyways on our way to the Tate Modern we walked down a little side street and came upon the Clink Prison Museum. It was really awesome! You walk in what was the original entrance to the prison. It is underground and smells sorta musty. We got to read about its origins and how long it was used and why people were put there and different kinds of torture methods and how they used to decide if people were guilty or innocent. One of the guilty or innocent methods was to put an Iron rod in the convicted persons hands that had been heated in the fire, they must then take 3 steps while holding it. Then they would wrap up their hands and wait 3 days, if 3 days later the wounds did not look any better than you were guilty. Crazy! They also had this iron boot that they would put the persons foot in and then shove pieces of wood in it surrounding the persons foot so that there was no extra room. Then they would fill the boot with water or oil so that the wood would expand and crush the persons foot! It said sometimes they would then put the boot over a fire and boil the water inside often resulting in the persons foot falling off! It was all quite gruesome and really a totally different way of thinking and of course very interesting to learn about. Most of the old prison I felt fine in but there was one area that I felt unnerved instantly. I felt as though something very heavy was pressing down on me, particularly in the chest area. Breathing seemed to be a bit harder, my eyes started to get a bit watery and I felt a need to cry although I didn’t and could not explain why. I was very happy to step out of that room and although overall the prison had a very oppressive feeling that one room/cell area was almost too much. Once outside that feeling was gone completely and it was like taking a big deep breath of fresh air. We did end up getting to the Tate Modern and walking around for an hour before it closed. It was interesting but I’m not sure I’d call some of it art...
Tuesday was another long day of walking. We headed straight for the Tower of London and were surprised by the lines when we arrived there (this is supposedly low season!). We each got in a line that we thought was moving fast. while I was in line I saw something coming at me out of the corner of my eye and I leaned back just in time but not quite far enough because a pigeon flew right at me and its wing smacked my nose! I burst out laughing and so did everyone around me that saw! We spent most of the day wondering around the "Castle" I would call it more of a mini town! It was huge! We probably walked around for close to 4 hours just to see everything and I think even then we may have missed some. We packed a lunch and found a bench to sit on while we ate. It was fun and I especially loved walking up and down all of the spiral staircases! After that we started walking to St. Paul’s Cathedral. We had to be there by 5 for a service but it is the only way you can see the inside for free. It is magnificent! One of the most beautiful places I have ever been into, truly aw inspiring... We of course were not allowed to take pictures inside. We were in there for a service but I spent the hour staring at all of the amazing mosaics and painted ceilings. I lit a candle for Grandpa Farrell and we got to listen to the Organ being played for a bit at the end. The Choir was absolutely unbelievable. A mixture of old and very young kids but together their voices were amazing. 2 of the singers, one male, one female, had voices like opera singers. Hearing them in that place was an experience well worth it.
Yesterday we did get to sleep in and then Alex's Mom, Daniela, came to get us. We went to the oldest pub in England. It is called The Royal Standard of England. It has a long and vivid history starting with the time of the Saxons. You walk in and the stone floor is very uneven, all the furniture is rustic and old, and there are multiple little rooms packed to the brim with tables, chairs, couches, and an array of antique looking items all over the walls. The menu is an option of mostly old traditional English food and a few other modern items as well as the Ale that is brewed there. Overall very cool place to go! The rest of the day and night we watched movies and basically enjoyed a girls night in! Today has been laid back we went and walked around a few shops and then came back to Nana's house. Tonight we are going out dancing. Should be fun 😊
Also very exciting news, Alex and I got our confirmation to see Stonehenge on January 30th 2011 at 8am - we are 2 of the approximately 6,700 people they let walk into the inner circle of the stones each year. Considering they get around 9 hundred thousand visitors a year I feel pretty lucky! There will be at max 26 people there at the time we go, we are going in before regular opening hours. Everyone else that goes to see the site has to stay behind a roped off area on a path. I will be looking forward to that! Ok time for me to go and get ready to go out for the night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



4th November 2010

Cool
Nessa, I'm thrilled for you. I am so glad you get to not only see the sights the tourists see, but to experience life in another country as they do is remarkable. Have fun. tg
4th November 2010

Is it art??
Ness, you sound like you're having a grand time altogether. I had to laugh at your description of the Tate Modern--you sounded SO MUCH like your Grandma Farrell!! Also, glad the pigeon did no harm. XOXO
5th November 2010

One lucky girl
WOW, you are one lucky girl, CONGRATULATIONS on the Stonehedge invite, I always wanted to go there !! Can't wait for the photos and the next blog. Glad you are having so much fun and realizing one of your dreams :)
5th November 2010

Is it art?
Yes well there were a few things in there that I did like but there were just some areas in the Tate Modern that would have like a glass cylander on the floor with a long white cloth draped around it to form a V shape, or a piece of wood with wool on it dyed blue... But there were some other really cool things like a corner filled with led that looked like lava flow and some paintings and sculptures and those sorts of things so it was an aray but yeah not sure id call some of it art! haha Im glad I only got the tip of the pidgeon too! that was crazy!!!

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb