London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 16th 2009
Published: March 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ok I will try and make this quick and then get onto posting some sweet photos.

Myself and Jeanne flew into Stansted Airport as early as we could on Friday 13th of February, yes I know- Friday the 13th, probably the worst day to fly. Actually it was a blessing because we were the first flight out after previous flights had been cancelled due to thick snow the day before.
It didn't take us long to get into London and we find our appartment on the north edge of Hyde Park by lunch.

Not only was the whole point of the weekend to do some sight-seeing, because even though this was my 3rd time to London I still hadn't seen ANYTHING, but also to catch up with friends we had made on our travels of Africa.
So we started by meeting up with two of these friends, Tracy and Laura, for dinner the first night at a nice little Italian restaurant after a pint in a traditional English Pub. After a few wines and a few laughs we headed back to have an early night before the touristy stuff started.

The next morning we met up with Paolo and 'Ranga.' We had been emailing the boys and Paolo had an entire days worth of sight-seeing all planned out. Luckily the weather was brilliant (by London standards) and we were able walk just about everywhere. In order we saw Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abby, Big Ben, House of Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, and St Pauls Cathedral. We decided not to wait in line for the London Eye though.
After we had seen everything we grabbed some pizzas and beers and headed back to Paolo's place to watch England get smashed in the Rugby. Poor Paolo sitting there in his Lions Jersey! After they had wiped away the tears the boys took us out for more drinks, where we met up with Tracy again, and also found Samii, Chloe, and Catherine. Needless to say by about 2am we were wrecked, but at least we got to ride in a London Cab home. Tick that off the list!

The next day we had no set plan so we caught the tube down to the Thames and just started walking. We headed down the south bank past the London Eye, all the way down to a brilliant little area by the Tower Bridge which I think used to be the 'docks' and the rough area in about the 14th century. It was awesome, cobble-stone roads and pathways through tunnels etc, you could nearly 'Smell' all the old pubs, brothels and sailers!
We managed to visit the London Dungeon and also the Clink Prison while we were down there. So it was a good day until myself and Jeanne decided to go TenPin Bowling and couldn't buy a strike! I blame it on exhaustion...yes, exhaustion, that will do...

The last day was the Monday, and since we were flying out at 4pm we were going to sleep in and relax. This all changed when I woke up at 'stupid o'clock' and decided to drag the girl out of bed and treat her to Maddame Tussaudes before we made the trip back to Ireland. Well worth it!

Ok so that is pretty much our trip as quickly as I can tell it. Good weather, good people and cheap as hell.
Now I will sort through the photos and post the ones I think are worthy for your eyes.



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb