London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 15th 2006
Published: December 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our time in London was really great. It so quickly took us in and gave us a life and cared for us like any other city we had called home. After such a long time on the road we settled into a sort of routine, and had to earn a living again to pay for all of our adventures. Initially we stayed again with friends Russell and Sarah, house-sitting for a time, then finding our own place in London's colorful Mile End. Clinton road with its small row of houses had survived being bombed in the blitz and is now surrounded by parkland. This was home to us and three other lads, all very different in there own ways. Lez, Warren, Jack and the two of us shared the small house occupying the two bedrooms as well as living and formal dining rooms. Sounds bad but it seemed to work well and is a common situation for Londoners to live in every room of a house!

After arriving I found work quickly through a freelance agency placing me in a studio that initially seemed an incorrect match, but soon became an interesting learning experience. Working with some big brands I
Our Friend RussellOur Friend RussellOur Friend Russell

One of the stranger fellows in London
found out how much respect London designers ideas receive. After a few months a position opened up at one of the UKs, if not the worlds most esteemed agencies and I had to take the opportunity. The Partners has a space for a designer and somehow I had been chosen to fill it. Working at first under one of the creative directors, before spending my final weeks filling in for the other who was away, I completed the first stage of major project that was successfully presented on my final day. My time working in London had been extremely fulfilling, however I found it hard to imagine doing it for a long time. Despite being rewarding to some it seems a very competitive environment that quickly churns through young talent.

Kate had also found work at some of the cities famous institutions. First helping out for a few days at the Crafts Council, before getting permanent work in the Museum Shop at the Victoria and Albert. I think I enjoyed it more exploring the vast galleries in the hours before she would finish on the weekends. Along with regular visits to the V&A we also frequented the Tate along with the cities other great galleries. The event packed week of the design festival gave us an especially large amount of things to do. One highlight was a piece set up in an old church that had been filled with water. The 'user' is invited to walk out over the water along a string of steps that would rise up with each step. A very strange experience to say the least.

Along with the great art and design on offer, London is a haven for shopping. A favorite excursion was catching the tube to the circus then browsing for wool in Liberty and feeling very posh. This was almost always followed by a visit to flat white - one of only a handful of cafes that makes a drinkable coffee in the city. It was our little piece of Australia, as all its customers as well as owners and staff we from home (or NZ). We also too often ate at Maoz, a small franchise selling great make-your-own falafel pitas.

A few great events during our stay included Bonfire night (that mad time when people are expected to blow things up), A road trip down to Cornwall specifically to see the inspiring eden project, and our final going away party, where our few close friends came together for a great meal before growing into a crazy little house party. I think our departure from London came just at the right time as the days before we left were the first that required thermals! Im glad we missed the winter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

A fancy paper weightA fancy paper weight
A fancy paper weight

We all need a good distraction from work!
A very Indiana Jones momentA very Indiana Jones moment
A very Indiana Jones moment

A part of the Design week
On the eyeOn the eye
On the eye

It took some time before we got to this attraction.
Design ExhibitionDesign Exhibition
Design Exhibition

Nick Eagleton – CD at the Partners views some great work
Tate ModernTate Modern
Tate Modern

The art on display - or was it just a bit of fun to get people interested?
Power StationPower Station
Power Station

The best site for an art exhibition ever. Actually the site was better than the art!
Art that stinksArt that stinks
Art that stinks

An installation of thousands of rotting apples!


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb