RUN FAT BOY RUN


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 15th 2007
Published: September 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The trailer doesn't do it justice. It predicts a boring English movie directed by an American ('Friends' star David Schwimmer). At least that's the impression I got. But seeing the RUN FAT BOY RUN poster on every single bus for the past 10 days for at least 20 times/day, I thought " what the hell! let's give this movie a chance and see what all the fuss is about"!! And let me tell you it is the best piece of cinematographic art I've seen in a while!

The movie is about an average, ordinary Londoner with a lame job and a past he can't really let go. Dennis Doyle (brilliantly interpreted by Simon Pegg) got cold feet and left his pregnant fiancee at the altar on their wedding day. Five years later he is a security-guard not doing the best of jobs in the world, as he's a bit chubby and very unfit. Accepted by his ex-fiancee , Libby ( the stagggering looking Thandie Newton) as part of their son's life, he sees the kid quite often and the Mom as well. He realizes how much he wants her back only when another character appears in her life- a potential husband- well-off American hunk Whit (Hank Azaria).

The decision to run the London marathon is in the beginning just a bit of a joke, a "I'll show you I can do it, I'll show you I can change" to prove Libby that he can be a good father/husband/human being and succeed in something. " You've never finished a thing in your life" is the blame he gets from everybody around him and he knows they're right. He always gives up. He's never achieved anything in his entire life.

Even after he commits to run the marathon he doesn't really take it seriously, he doesn't do a damn thing to train for the 26 miles he's expected to run and still takes it pretty much as a joke or something quite easy to achieve. Only when his best friend,Gordon (the hillarious Dylan Moran) tells him he bet a lot of money that he would finish the marathon he starts to grasp the immensity of what he's got himself into. The marriage proposal he witnesses at Libby's birthday party offers him the added incentive he needs to follow this through.

The brief encounters with Whit and everything that makes his rival seem so superior not only gets the worst of him, but annoys and makes him want to prove he can be good at something. Dennis is basically an immature man, not fully grown up, with a teenage attitude and life-style. That's what makes him real and makes the audience fall in love with him. He's not strong-willed, has got no great purposes or dreams. He doesn't know very well what he wants himself. He has to be pushed by friends in order to achieve something. Ever since he left the love of his life standing at the alter, he has retreated and has become lonely, shy and a bit weird ( the scene where he kisses himself in the mirror clearly shows he's not quite right in the head).

The big day of the marathon starts off like a potential chaos and follows even more chaotically - from nearly missing the start to getting into a dispute with Whit over Libby and their future together. Running alongside, arguing, Whit intentionally trips him over and both of them get injured. While Whit, with just some bruises is unbelievably the one to quit the marathon, Dennis,with a sprained ankle carries on running til the end.

Go watch this movie, it's fun, relaxing, has got really nice humour, with a simple storyline enjoyable and easy to follow and strong emotions triggering great-to-watch reactions. It really makes you crack up and weep with the characters.
You won't stay still emotionally for 2 seconds!!The movie just won't let you.


Advertisement



5th November 2007

Que te paso pues ???
Hace rato que no posteas algo que falla !!!! Hace falta leer tus posts!!! :(
15th November 2007

mona!
hey !! been a long time got something to cheer you up!!! http://medellin-colombia.blogspot.com/ I guess other people also fell in love with Medellin!

Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb