The Revelation Tent


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 28th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jolly pukka mates!

It has been a while since our last entry because we've been inondated with activities and have been soaking up the last remaining weeks of our trip.

Our final couple days in Greece were spent in mesmerizing Oia. We flitted between the red, black and white sandy beaches and digested our fair share of fantastic Greek food! Unfortunately, food isn't the only thing that Greece is known for. Ouzo- a black liquorice alcohol type drink is famed among the locals. We found it absolutely revolting and were discouraged when a kindly waiter gave us two heaping glasses on the house. Despair set in. Followed by a stealthy and quick witted plan. We had to time our actions perfectly to avoid the never-ending stream of waiters passing our table. At a precise moment of opportunity, Larissa grabbed the glasses of Ouzo poison and chucked them into a nearby wine bucket. Luckily the job was executed meticulously and the staff were none the wiser. We made our escape unscathed and ready for our volcano trek the folowing day.

Because the 'Atlantis Island' derives it's history and legends from the ever active volcano we decided that we could not visit Santorini without checking it out. A pirate ship picked us up from the port and delivered us to the enormous volcano. We climbed over the shifting molten rock in the blistering heat stopping to check out the incredible views. In the afternoon we were taken to the hot springs. We were a tad alarmed when we swam around the corner of a cove and saw everyone's faces dripping in thick red mud. Following suit, we covered ourselves in the murky substance until we discovered that our bathing suits were now stained red.

Climbing back up the 220 steps to the village we heard a menacing braying travelling towards us from below. Before we could place the ominous sounds, a herd of donkeys were upon us. Starring into their wild eyes and noticing their giant, yellowed teeth we ran as we had never run before to avoid being trampeled. By clinging to the walls we survived and were able to watch the world reknown sunset that evening at the very tip of the island.

Greece was full of small joys and little discoveries. While purusing the streets in Oia, we discovered a tiny, hidden bookshop. After descending the lopsided stairs we were excited to find rows upon rows of english books. Atlantis bookshop was run by group of American friends. Stepping into the bookshop, we momentarily forgot we were in Greece while exploring the handmade shelves and talked with fellow book lovers.

Leaving Greece and the unbelievingly hot weather, we hopped onto our last ferry ride and began our 4 day journey to Berlin. We stopped over in Venice once again and stayed at a campground. Whoever thought we'd be camping on our European adventure? Especially because we had no tent and only one sleepig bag between us. Interestingly enough, the campsite already came equipped with permanent tents with two cots in each one. There was a padlock on the zipper so we locked ourselves in at night and relished in this luxury type camping.

Berlin was a centre of change and innovation. A mix of remaining old world buildings with astoundingly beautiful modern architecture, the city itself seems to be a physical manifestation of the attitudes and people of Berlin.

Our first hostel, Bax Pax was very memorable. Each room had a different theme. The hostel was complete with a U.K. room, Swiss room, New World and German room. The German room had a pink Volkswagon Buggy and inside of it was a bed which could only be reached by climbing through the trunk of the car.

During the days we were there we went to many museums including the museum of Jewish history, Anne Frank, the National Gallery and the Film and Television museum. Across the street from the Film museum there was a theatre which played original language movies. That evening we went to see the new Harry Potter movie and had a ball! We also hung out with Nicole, a family friend of Sam's, and she cooked us a scrumptious homemade meal (our first in three months!) and another night took us to an African club along with her boyfriend and our new friends John and Heme from Sweden and Spain. We dubbed John with the name of Kermit because he sounds exactly like the muppet. Heme became 'Mitchell Johnny Cohen Spaniard with a Flaming Chin the Second' for many reasons including the fact that we could not pronounce his Spainish name.

As we made our way to Checkpoint Charlie - the old border crossing that divided East and West Berlin from American and Soviet occupation - we stumbled across H&M stores galore! Around ever corner there seemed to be a different one. While in Berlin we also enjoyed Currywurst: As German legend goes, during the Second World War a German man had been visiting America and when he returned home he told his wife about the delicious spare ribs he had eaten while in the States. His wife adapted the recipe using sausage, ketchup and curry powder and the meal became an instant success.

Currywurst fufilled our hunger along with feasts of Snitzel, Milka bars and Mezzo Mix.

The last few days in Berlin were spent with Spaniard with the Flaming Chin, viewing the location of 'Burning of the Books' and accidentally discovering sections and stories from the remaining Berlin Wall.

We had a great time in Germany and Sam has been persuaded by the experience to study there in a few years!

Flying back to London proved to be a bit of an ordeal. At each airport we had been to Larissa ceaselessly was stopped at security. Once her shoes were examined thoroughly, another time security questioned her and at another airport she beeped relentlessly while going through the metal check. So we were not surprised when she beeped profusely at the London security check. After taking off her belt she was still beeping without end and was subject to a thorough frisking before they decided to allow her onto the plane.

When we arrived in London we were almost not let into the country! It probably didn't help that Sam and I were answering the emmigration officer's questions differently. When asked how long we were staying Larissa answered 3 months while Sam replied 1 week. When she demanded to see our plane tickets for our flight home from London and Sam told her that they were in her bag while Larissa informed her they were online. She angrily told us that she needed proof we were leaving the country. Thankfully she cast her suspicions aside and let us back into Britain.

The hostel we found had been an old school that was converted into dorm rooms and had hot showers (!), free breakfast and a cinema. We visited Westminster Abbey, the parliament buildings and had cream tea once again in Harrods. We strolled around London basking in the country that we so love and trying to retain every last fibre of our Europe trip. While we were traveling back to Andrew's, terrential downpours befell us. We found a little pub, sat and drank tea and read Harry Potter to add to the classic English atmosphere.

Yesterday we went to Hampton Court (the castle and residence of Henry the VIII), wandered the gardens and got lost in the enormous hedge maze. In the next couple days we plan to have cream tea a final time, hopefully see Rita, go to one more theatre show and revel in the glory that is our future home.

This entire adventure has been exactly that. An adventure. We've had difficult times that have tested our resourcefulness and wonderful times that we will always remember. As cheesy and cliched as it sounds, before we left, Sam told me that we would grow and I agreed. However, we didn't expect the ways in which we would or had any idea of the realizations we would make.

Well, Sam and I have been living for three months as turtles and it is now time to retire our shell homes. We are feeling a medley of mixed emotions but are very excited to see you all! We are also excited to consistenly have shelter, free food, and clean clothes not to mention available toilet paper, hot water and more than six pairs of underwear.

Thanks to all our faithful travelblog readers. It's been fun. We look forward to seeing you.

For once and for all,

Larissa and Sam

P.S. There are no pictures on this entry as there was an incident with our camera. If anyone wants to see them from our last month of travel be sure to ask us when we get home.

Advertisement



29th July 2007

BE A SPONGE!!
I MISS YOU! and again am getting the very jealeous green eyed monster bug that you both are now worldly travellers! I love you be a sponge!!
29th July 2007

seasoned travelers
Hello my well seasoned travelers, can not believe your trip is coming to an end! Cookies, brown rice, hot water and underwear await you at home. Can not wait to hug you Love OX Mom

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb