Irish Touring. Day 1 Galway City


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 27th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We've had a couple of weeks of seeing friends and having sleepovers etc so it was nice to do some more exciting travel. Mid term holidays are for just one week so we decided to visit Ireland. Herve and I came here a couple of years ago but the girls have never been so we thought, as they have some Irish blood, it would be good to show them the green of Ireland.



We arrived in Dublin, went to pick up our Budget car and drove straight over to the West Coast. It took about 3 hours to get from Dublin airport to Galway city stopping off for our picnic lunch along route. Galway city was surprisingly excellent. WE walked from our YHA hostel to the river and walked along the path away from town to a lighthouse. The girls were ecstatic to have some open space after feeling so enclosed in London for the last 4 months or so. They ran,dived and rolled in the grass like a couple of puppies set off a leash.




The coast was rocky but the sand was real sand (not the rocks you find in England) and so this delayed our walk further as the girls ambled over rocks and wrote things in the sand. We saw many birds including a huge flock (?) of swans. Then we strolled into town for dinner which turned out to be Turkish! The little streets of the city are interesting and we saw our first taste of the Irish pub patrons having good craic.



I look forward to my first pint of guiness.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb