The longest night ever...so far...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the show and dinner at O'neill's pub (great food!) we walked back to our hostel to collect our belongings and head towards Stansted airport. We thought it would be a great idea to sleep in the airport before our 6:30am flight to Dublin and we would save paying for another night at the hostel. We took a bus to the Victoria Station, asked several people and eventually found the Terrevision stop that would take us to the airport. The bus picked us up at 8:30pm, we got to the airport around 10:30pm. Evidently the driver and some passengers had an issue and the bus stopped for like 30 minutes, but Kel was the only witness (Kris and Sarah were sleeping) and they were all speaking in Spanish.
The airport looked like a giant hanger and was totally empty. We found a very nice security guard who gave us the low down on the best way to go about getting our tickets and getting thru security. He suggested that we get up at 3:30am to beat the mob of people. Then we found a nice bench to camp out at. Total each of us maybe slept for 30minutes (maybe..) It
Are you there?Are you there?Are you there?

We're stuck in the phone booth and we can't get out!!
was very cold and the floor was very hard and people were smoking and snoring and guys with massive guns were patrolling. As the night wore on, more and more people showed up to sleep all over the airport (it was like a giant camp out). There were children playing futbol and running around and groups of people sitting in circles as if they were around a campfire. (Can anyone say "cuumbiyaahh"?) We were the first in line to check into our flight and we got thru security with two chapsticks and toothpaste in Kel's pockets, but it was Kris and Sarah who were padded down (woah!) by security women who didn't seem to be thrilled to be alive in general.
We had a very expensive and interesting tasting breakfast on the other side of security, and after what felt like an eternity we boarded our plane. Of course, we sat in the row of non-reclining seats and basically slept sitting up (or laying on the tray). At 7:30am we arived safely in Dublin...and had fun with the custom's guy:
Customs guy: "How did you get on in the UK?"
Sarah (in a zombified state): "By American Air..."
Customs guy:
The wrong stationThe wrong stationThe wrong station

Um yeah..if you are taking Terrevision, it's near Victoria Station, not in Victoria Station or the Green or National Stations....oye!
(smile with akward pause) "No, no, how did it go for you?"
Sarah (confused): "Uhh"
Kelly: "Just fine, thank you!"
Kristen (starring into space...not quite awake)

YAY for being in Dublin!!

(Photos taken from Sarah's view point as lookout from the bench...yes, Kel is under the bench)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



2nd April 2007

ahhh, sleeping on airport floors... an excellent study in the culture significance of shoes ;)

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb