Heathrow Is a Mess


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 26th 2022
Published: July 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

From Smartraveler.gov.au:
Heathrow Airport in London is capping the number of departing passengers it can process daily to 100,000. The restriction is causing delays and cancellations to international flights travelling to and from the airport.

The restriction on passenger numbers is expected to last for several months.

If you're travelling through Heathrow in the coming weeks, plan ahead.
Contact your airline to confirm your flights.Ensure you take out travel insurance that covers you for flight cancellations.Be prepared for long wait times at the airport.Have contingency plans in place if your flight is delayed or cancelled and you're overseas longer than expected.
• To stay informed, subscribe to our travel advice for the United Kingdom and news updates.


For more information, read the passenger updates from Heathrow Airport.




I have rarely enjoyed flying into or out of Heathrow. Nor has I enjoyed transferring planes there. But Heathrow has good shopping, passable food, good bars, and lots of seating (at least until now). Hotels are close for overnight stays, and transport into London is great.




Add to this the fires and heat of this summer, and Heathrow, the UK, and Europe are a total mess.




My solution: Fly Aer Lingus into Dublin. Then connect from there if you want to go elsewhere in Europe. Easyjet has great connections there. Also, switch to carryon, forget checking luggage or golf clubs.




If already have tickets into Heathrow, take the Eurostar into the mainland, forget connections! My favorite landing spot in Europe has been Frankfurt. From there, I can easily connect to Athens, Paris, or Istanbul, via train, commuter flights, or bus. I hear the Eurostar is now suspended temporarily as well!!!




Another trick: I leave my larger bag and take a small carryon when I take little side trips, bypassing the need to check bags.




Don't tell anyone!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.628s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 39; qc: 151; dbt: 0.4719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb