And Then We Were Off to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
December 13th 2021
Published: December 13th 2021
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday, after brunch, Ghislan dropped us off at the train station where we would take the train to London. We had to go thru some security but as we were traveling light, we had no problems. Well, we did have 2 bags with mostly food, over the limit but no one said anything.

In London the new rule was that we would need to get a Covid test between the time we arrived and the end of day 2. The testing centers were closed when we arrived so we just went to the hotel. We got into our room but decided to just unpack and set up our home away from home, then had cheese, crackers, olives and other food that we’d collected along the way.

Day 1 was the following day. We could get tested and we did after breakfast. We took a long walk that included a walk thru the British Museum on the way back to the hotel where we were to self-isolate until our negative test would come. By late afternoon we’d received our results and we were off.

As we’d had a really long walk in the morning and early afternoon, we just walked to the Christmas market in the evening all set for potatoes with Raclette cheese. Alas, no potatoes with Raclette at all. Then we found that the lower market was closed until Tues night so no glogg in our future. We ended up buying a beyond burger, me without the bun. It was ok but not what I’d hoped for.

Day 2 was an open day, nothing planned at all. We decided that we’d never been to St. Paul’s and we should see it. Well, we saw it and it was ok, nothing like St. Peter’s or other cathedrals we’ve been to. I did look down the aisle that Diana walked down when she married Charles. But it was fun to see the graves of Christopher Wren, Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington in the crypt.

After St Paul’s we decided to go to St. Martin’s in the Fields for some church food in the crypt. They serve huge servings of whatever it is that they have that day. We had some tuna with corn on baked potatoes with mulled wine. Then cake and cappuccino for dessert. Fat and happy we walked back to the hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.54s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.15s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb