1 week in London...Amy Winehouse dies and Hunger strikes, the city of the 1966 Great Fire of London.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
July 25th 2011
Published: August 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 25th-July 31st
Love our hotel!! It is right by the London Eye.
Went on a hop on, hop off bus to have a quick tour of London.
Shopped on Oxford street.
Went on the London Eye.
London Dungeon and Mme Tussauds.
A visit to Brighton, a south coast city.
Bicester Village for shopping.
Long 3 hour walk in the evening along the River Thames (almost made it from Westminster Bridge to London Bridge).



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Westminster BridgeWestminster Bridge
Westminster Bridge

We arrived in London at night. This view is a short walk away from where we stayed. In the background is Westminster Bridge and Big Ben. Big Ben is the largest four-faced chiming clock and the third-tallest free-standing clock tower in the world. London is beautiful and relaxing at night for us.
London Eye at nightLondon Eye at night
London Eye at night

Our hotel is in the same building as the ticket office for the London Eye. It was a prime location with free breakfast for the girls, free internet across the street at Star Bucks and a 5 minute walk from the tube. I would definitely stay here again!!
London Eye at dayLondon Eye at day
London Eye at day

In the background is the London Eye again. We are on the Hop On Hop Off bus touring London sights for the day. We saw the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, and the Doncaster Hotel where Elizabeth Taylor was married a few times. It was a great way to get an overview of the sights of London.
London Eye viewLondon Eye view
London Eye view

The London Eye is a giant Ferris Wheel ride that lasts about 30 minutes. The London Eye has 32 capsules that about 20 people can travel in. The London Eye will have the Olympic Rings attached to it for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Big Ben from London EyeBig Ben from London Eye
Big Ben from London Eye

You can see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament from the London Eye.
Westminster AbbeyWestminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey

William and Kate were married in April at Westminster Abbey. It is such a beautiful church! Many famous people are buried here, including royalty. statesmen and other famous people including Charles Darwin. The grave of the unknown soldier is located here, as well as a large and breathtaking statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus. It is more than a thousand years old and it is amazing to look at! Hundreds of carvings adorn the outside of this church!
Daylight RobberyDaylight Robbery
Daylight Robbery

In the 1690s William III was short of money, so he introduced Window Tax. This was a tax levied on the windows or window-like openings of a property. Social status and wealth was demonstrated by building homes with many windows. Then, some people went to great pains to avoid paying it. Check out the boarded up window in this photo. The English were robbed of their daylight by the Window Tax.
MaddyMaddy
Maddy

Justin Bieber at Mme Tussaud's!!
Brighton, EnglandBrighton, England
Brighton, England

We did a one day visit to the beautiful southern coastal city. It is one of my favorite stops we made. Relaxing, pretty, fresh air and bears the same name as Brighton! I will go back here again!
Seafood in BrightonSeafood in Brighton
Seafood in Brighton

This crab reminds me that if you are a seafood lover, it is sold in huts all along the beach! From fresh and frozen fish and shrimp, to every kind of pickled, smoked, baked and fried seafood. It is a seafood lover's paradise so I am told!!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb