Venice - the city of canals


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 24th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Venice is known for many things. It is the city of love and romance. The city of water. It is a floating city. This city is set on wood pilings that are secured on underwater islands on the Adriatic Sea. It is a city to easily get lost in. If you can find your way to Piazzo San Marco and to the main sea port, then you have done well! A gondolier is the person who paddles you through the canals in a gondola. Check out our pics below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Not ideal weather today in VeniceNot ideal weather today in Venice
Not ideal weather today in Venice

Our arrival in Venice did not come with clear skies. We experienced light showers and cooling winds all day long!
venice viewvenice view
venice view

Venice architecture is a sight to behold, rain or shine! The style is Gothic with many arches designing most buildings!
The Canal and GondolasThe Canal and Gondolas
The Canal and Gondolas

Public transportation in Venice is on water, by Vaporetti or water taxis. Gondolas are used for tourist tours and a pole is used to move the boat along the canals.
The Gondola seatsThe Gondola seats
The Gondola seats

The Gondola seats 6. It is a long, flat bottomed boat that lists to the right on purpose. All poling is done on the left side of the Gondola.
our gondola driverour gondola driver
our gondola driver

Our Gondolier sang to us some of the time during our ride. He also greeted all other Gondoliers that we passed on the canals. Ride length - about 20 minutes.
On the way to St. MarkOn the way to St. Mark
On the way to St. Mark

The streets are narrow and numerous. It is easy to get lost!
St MarkSt Mark
St Mark

St. Mark's Church is amazing. It makes up one entire side of St. Mark's square, which is the most photographed site in the world!
venice rialto bridgevenice rialto bridge
venice rialto bridge

This is the oldest bridge in Venice. It is more than 400 years old and at one time is was the only bridge that crossed the Grand Canal in Venice.
Masks in VeniceMasks in Venice
Masks in Venice

Venetian masks are a tradition in Venice. The masks are worn during the Carnevale (Carnival of Venice), but have been used on many other occasions in the past, usually as a device for hiding the wearer's identity and social status. It was useful for a variety of purposes, some of them illicit or criminal, others just personal, such as romantic encounters.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb