Day 4 - The joys of suitcases


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
January 25th 2006
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This may shock many of you but I, Kelly Worland, was up at 6am this morning!!..I know, its shocking isn't it??? So my day started at 6am on a cold wednesday morning...today was our last day in our first hostel in London, we had to be checked out by 10am so our suitcases had to be packed up and put into storage for the day. The 7 flights of stairs didnt seem so daunting going down until the bags were rolling down faster than i could walk!! Lets just say Ash got a good laugh out of my stuggle with the bags...

So we checked ourselves out of there and jumped on a bus to get to Buckingham Palace. A short time into the trip, we realised we had no idea where we were or where we were meant to get off so we got off at the next stop and asked someone. Apparently we were in the right direction and if we had of stayed on the bus, it would've taken us straight to Buckingham Palace but instead we then had to walk for nearly 30mins to get there!!

We eventually got there in one piece but unlike all the movies where the guards are outside the big gates in their red suits, these guards were wearing grey suits and were so far inside the gates that even when I zoomed in the camera, i still couldn't see them properly!!!
The building itself was also pretty disappointing, it definately wasn't as big and glamorous as I had expected but hey, I can now say that I've been to Buckingham Palace so grey guards in the distance isn't that bad!!

After taking many photos outside the gates, we walked around the corner and found the Queen's Gallery which had lots of royal..stuff.. like jewels, furniture, paintings, photos..and other royal things! Oh and mum, I have decided I now want to be a Princess!! ....Princess Kelly...has a good ring to it don't ya think?!?!
...Back to reality...we stopped outside the gallery and got some hot chips for lunch before venturing onwards to St. Paul's Cathedral.

We waited nearby for a bus that would take us to the nearest train station and then onto St. Paul's. Little did we know the nearest station was a block away so we got on the bus and two stops later, we were there!! We spent about an hour or so in St. Paul's...it was absolutely amazing!! watching something like that on tv or seeing pictures just wouldn't do it justice, its just something you have to see!! Just as we were about to climb the 530 steps to the top of the cathedral(not that we needed to climb anymore steps!!) we realised it was time to go get our bags and meet up with Mick & Di so we'll just have to go back another time and do the climb! By the time we get back, we might be fitter and have more of a chance of making it all the way to the top!!

So back to the hostel to collect our bags and drag them back up another 2 flights of stairs and out onto the busy London streets! Thankfully the area that you wait for taxis was just around the corner and across the street so it wasn't too bad!! As we had so many big bags, we decided on the taxi and not the trains which I'm glad we did because it was an effort just getting them out the hostel door let alone through a train station..The cab took us to Holland Park station which was where we had organised to meet up with Mick & Di but we were running about 20mins late so they had gone to the Pub down the road. Mick came up and helped us put our bags in their car and we went and joined Di back at the pub. We both got strawberry beer...and no thats not a typo...Di, thinking I must just be like mum & kim got me a whole pint which was the biggest drink ive ever seen!! I'm don't like beer but this didn't taste like it...it didnt quite taste like strawberry either but it was nice!!

Advertisement



26th January 2006

kell, sounds like your having some great adventures, yea i think princess kelly does have a nice ring to it. . . hey see if u can meet up with Prince Harry ;)Strawberry beer??? haha crazy! talk soon girls. Missing you heaps, love kaylz

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb