London town.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
September 28th 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello all the lovely people out there.

so, i'm in london feeling a little more positive about being in the UK. the weather is still not ideal, i but i have decided to just forget about that - there is no point on dwelling on things that are so out of your control. so here i am, in the heart of london. i travelled down from yorkshire last tuesday, and have honestly not looked back. i was staying in a tiny little hostel in soho - which is honestly a backpackers dream location. It is located just on oxford street, just in front in carnaby st, and only about a 10 minute walk from the heart of theatrical london.

I am absolutely tempted to go and see some theatre - every show i have ever heard of is showing while i'm here. including dirty dancing, my absolute favourite movie.. but unfortunately they are extremely expensive and london is not somewhere you can live cheaply - even without being extravagant and going to theatre. i might look into it a bit more though.. cabaret and chicago are playing too.. and just about every big name stage show that can be imagined/.

i have caught up with some friends of Zaks from back home which is a lovely relief. the sound of an aussie accent after so long is honestly the sweetest thing. they have been taking me out, doing the touristy things which is quite amusing, and we have been going out drinking in local dwellings. last night we hit up Camden town, which is quite possibly home to the coolest people in the world. we drank beers in a couple of different pubs, and were thrown out eventually at 2am. we were quite surprised actually. we really thought that londoners would party hard, be unstoppable forces of rock and roll.. but apparently not. most places around soho and camden close by 11 or 12 during the week. what is that? people party harder than that in brisbane!

it is funny, having this totally unrealistic concept of a place before you visit. i really thought, wow, im doing the UK, it's going to be incredible, i'm going to meet all these people who are going to be so worldly and be able to teach me and show me things and party hard with me and just live an amazing life that i will be so envious of. but in reality, being here makes me truly appreciate what i have at home. amazing mates, freedom to make my own decisions, beautiful weather. i really do have it all, and i never truly appreciated that before. so, i'm really starting to love being here, because i can appreciate this with the awesome knowledge of what i have to come for.

speaking of coming home, i have actually made quite a radical change to my itinerary. i have been offered an opportunity to do some volunteering work in the lead up to woodford this year, and i can never pass up an opportunity at woodford! so, yesterday i went into the STA and changed my flights big time. seeing as i am flying home around chrissy time, the flights were few and far between. so my choices were to keep my current flights, which would have got me home on the 18 dec, or switch them to over 3 weeks earlier, and get back on the 22nd november. so i changed them. and i don't regret it. granted, it cuts over 3 weeks off my trip, but to be honest, that is 7 weeks from now and i think that 7 weeks more is enough. i am still getting my time in thailand before i go home, just cutting time off europe. so home in 7 seven weeks in time for aussie summer and festival season. very stoked with my life and future in this moment.

i am flying to biarritz in france on sunday to visit a lovely friend who has an apartment just on the beach. finally going to be living boho just like i have dreamed about while being in the UK. wine, cheese, baguettes, candles dripping wax over the side of an emptied wine bottle, and only a matress on the floor to sleep. i am so wired for this experience/. oh yes, and the sun on my face will be a definite positive.

i will give an update in france - lets see if this is anything like i expect.. i'm trying not to have too many expectations, but i've had a lot of mundane times here to totally create expectations.. only time will tell.

i hope everything is beautiful back home, any upsdates would be totally appreciated.
big love for you all. xx



Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb