Tate Modern is not very modern


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Islington
July 8th 2012
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With the whole day ahead of us, Stav and I decided to visit Tate Modern, a free museum to the public. We've been spending so much money lately, so this seemed like a cheap, yet fun way to spend the morning/early afternoon. Wrong. Of course the bus stop we had to get off at was closed, so we had to walk even farther to the prison-like museum. It literally looked like a prison on the outside...and the inside. There were zero decorations. It was simply a big box of conrete. No wonder it's free. We went up and down the escalators a few times before we actually found the "art." It mostly consisted of naked women and artwork that I could have made (aka paint splatters and shapes on a canvas). Maybe that is why they call it modern? Beats me.

One good thing did come out of that trip--we got to walk across the Millenium Bridge (the one from Harry Potter). It is such an amazing bridge! We were able to see London Bridge and the Tower Bridge from the view.

At this point we were tired, hungry, and it was raining, so we went back to Harrods for a third time to look for some food and hang out inside where it was dry. We found where the restaurants are, but obviously those were not going to happen without a reservation on Saturday afternoon. We did, however, find Pet Kingdom (my mom would have loved this) and the Godiva Chocolate Cafe. It sounded great for dessert, but we wanted real food. We settled on a cafe right across from Harrods, which surprisingly took us right away without a reservation. It was a unique dining experience to put it simply. We ordered mozzarella, sundried tomatoes, and basil on ciabatta, so one would assume that's a sandwich, right? Wrong. It was four pieces of ciabatta with these ingredients scattered around the plate. To solve this problem, I ordered a chocolate croissant (which actually was a chocolate croissant) and Stav a scone with jam and clotted cream. This was satisfying.

We still had a few hours to kill before the dinner cruise, so we went home to relax and get ready. I wore my new heels and surprisingly didn't have any issues with my big feet! The dinner cruise itself was fun, but not quite my style. A lot of fellow "Dreamers" enjoyed beverages, so we mostly stayed inside, but did venture out when all the sites started to light up! The dinner part of the cruise was unsatisfactory as there was little selecion for vegetarians and the food for the carnivores was apparently not outstanding. Although it was nice to see everyone dressed up in their best attire and fun to witness some of the girls wearing five inch heels trying to walk.

~Kayleigh


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb