JJ's Xmas lunch for 'Kiwi orphans'


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Hammersmith
December 25th 2008
Published: December 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It would be silly not to spend at least one festive season in London, so this year we decided to play hosts to a big Christmas pot-luck lunch at our flat for all our 'Kiwi orphan' friends.

A couple of days before, Clements and I stocked the cupboards in preparation as we knew we'd be calling family back home and going out for a few pints on Xmas Eve. Turns out that prediction was bang on, as after Joel had stuffed the turkey and I had called Nana and Grandy in Feilding and Grandy in Christchurch, we headed down to meet our old flatmates in Fulham for a few. It wasn't a big night, but we still gave it a good nudge and came home armed with a few boxes of chicken at around midnight.

Xmas morning I called Mum, Dad, Ryan and Todd back home - where it was now night time in New Zealand. They had also held Xmas lunch at their place, and this year were able to have Ryan home from Canada for the occasion.

Joel rustled up Clements and I some bacon and eggs for breakfast, and then it was time to get ready, put the turkey on and crack into some champagne and eggnog!

Before our guests arrived we opened our presents, which for me included nightwear, underwear and new Chelsea gear, Bonus Bonds, cash, chocolates, 'a light clapper' and a 'hot hugs (heatable) monkey'. (I was stoked as my other monkey is vacuum packed in storage!)

Graham and Cat - my Christmas helper extraordinaire, arrived shortly after, upon which time we got stuck into prepping the veggies and the massive sirloin that we'd bought from her work. Eleven people came for lunch, which we served mid-afternoon, and another dozen or so came for drinks in the evening. We had enough food to feed an army, so after we were well fed we played a round of Pictionary before deciding we were too merry for that kind of palaver, and instead opted for Pavlova, cheesecake and fruit salad!

By the time we'd carved up a few moves on the dance floor and filled up five of Santa's recycling sacks with beer, Baileys, champagne and wine bottles, it was time to call it a night. ...Not a bad effort considering it was 5.30 Boxing Day morning!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Xmas cooksXmas cooks
Xmas cooks

Me and Cat
Canopes on our sweet Xmas table!Canopes on our sweet Xmas table!
Canopes on our sweet Xmas table!

Tu, Joel, Ryan, Doug, Amy, Jamie, Graham and Cat
More presents!More presents!
More presents!

Graham, Cat, Joel C, Joel E and I


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb