Gotta love Camden Town


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Camden Town
March 3rd 2013
Published: March 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After another stalled start to our weekend ( I swear we are cursed when it comes to cars!.... who gets two flat tyres when all they want to do is head away for the weekend!) We finally made it to London. We were visiting for our friends birthday, and after quite a stressful few weeks were looking forward to getting out of Boxted for the weekend.

After finding our hotel, very conveniently located near Paddington tube station, we headed to Picadilly Circus to the Comedy Store where we had tickets for the evening. A good night out for £25 actually, and we will do it again! Love Picadilly Circus with all the lights and atmosphere...where people in London are actually HAPPY! I spotted the m&m's store too......is there a better reason to go back?!

After another false start, (at our cold shower/no wifi hotel)... note to self London hotels have a reputation for a reason and a hearty pancake breakfast we headed to Camden Town. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, loved Camden Town! Another "happy place" in London! ( except for maybe the pickpockets). Whats more we found numerous food markets with.....yes.......actual flavour!! Indian, chinese, thai, morrocan, you name it, they had it! So we ate our long overdue Chinese deliciousness, surrounded by poms with their.....burgers and chips......they have no shame. We figured next time we visit we wont buy lunch, we'll just wander around collecting samples of flavour awesomeness.

The first market stalls we came to were seemed cool, heaps of vintage clothing, leather jackets galore and very cute dresses. This however comes with the middle eastern people selling the garments, who would do anything to sell something. One second i was looking at a jacket, the next second my jacket was taken off me and a random man was doing up the one off the rack on me...t'was a little big, but very snug...until i asked how much ( nothing has prices marked) and at £ 75 twas a little expensive. Not to self dont wear "posh clothes" to market, otherwise one looks like a fool with money! I learnt this lesson in the next shop where i spotted a cute wee dress...enter eastern european man.....£42 he says....when Vaughn said no the price dropped to £23, we bought it for £20 .....in hindsight we probably could have halved it again but you live & learn. While i was paying I asked, out of interest, where the dresses where made.....the responce was Italy and Paris....hmmm Yes Italian Couture for 20 quid...the stupid thing was he didnt have to lie, I had already bought the dress! So buyer beware their first instinct is to unfortunatly lie. No such thing as an honest yarn here. Stoked with the dress though...all I need now is sun!

Heading down the road further you reach the canels and Campen Lock which is where the main market is located. It is set in the old horse hospital and stables which makes for an amazing backdrop. Everywhere you see amazing bronze scuptures of horses, I was in my element. There is an ecletic mix of shops and cafes including ,for my sheltered NZ girl side, tables with Hookah' ( a turkish version of a bong) where you can smoke flavoured tobacco called Shisha... i did not try.

We had a look around Cyberdog which is a futuristic/rave type place with a whole heap of weird looking outfits in highlighter versions of the jetsons outfits. Kinda cool too see all the different stuff.....downstairs is not exactly for the innocent at heart, giving a glimpse into another side of London which I might just let be!

The vibe at Camden was amazing and the shopping is great if you want a cheap outfit or different designery thingymabob. Will be back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb